Mar 21, 2019

Deckle Edges

Before you ask, this year I have not bought as many books as last year. Compared to this point of the year. Well, I think. I wasn't in Hungary this year, so yeah, my book-purchase so far is still low. Of course, that doesn't mean that I will stop buying (or reading) books. I think it's more likely that I get off buying food than buying books.

When it comes to books, I don't discriminate between books on paper and e-books. Yes, some I like to have in physical format, specially if the topic is one I would like not only to highlight but also to make annotations on, and possibly reference in the future. History, philosophy, politics, economics, religion are usually among the subjects I prefer to have on physical format. Others I like more on e-book format, such as books on a language I'm learning (German) as Kindle allows me to have the meaning or translation of a word just by tapping it. In the case of LGTBQ+ romance books, having them on e-book format is more convenient, truth to be told. As for the rest, whatever format it comes in and is more convenient for me (cheaper, available) is what I pick.

Source: Google Image Search
Regarding the physical books, I usually tend to prefer paperback books because they tend to be cheaper and are less heavy than hardcovers. And for someone who destroys books the way I do (by jamming them into my bag), paperback is always better. In general, the format of the book and the binding of the book are not very important for me. Sure, I also judge a book by the cover, but I only buy it if the blurb convinces me, or if I already know the author and I know I can blindly trust them (a.k.a. Arnaldur Indriðason). However, a couple of years back I discovered a thing I can't stand when it comes to physical books: deckle edges.

I'm not sure, but I think the first time I came across a book with deckle edges was during my trip to Salem, Massachusetts. I was checking books at a bookstore (what else would I be doing?), and I found a book I found interesting. It was a hardcover, with nice, sturdy cover (the kind that's usually bound in linen, not paper), dust jacket, and as I turned it, the endges of the pages were uneven. I found it odd and ugly, because clearly a lot of throught and process had gone into making the covers and the dust jacket, and then the edges of the longer side of the page were rough. It was an instant pet peeve.

Source: Google Image Search
First I thought the book was defective, but then I saw that all other copies were just like that. It didn't make sense for me, because if they wanted to cut costs, the publisher would have not gone with the hardcover or the dust jacket. Then, why go with cut edges on the shorter sides and leave the longer one with the rough, deckle edges? Well, it turns out that deckle edges are a trend, and there's people that like them. Yes, take a moment to let that sink in.

Deckle edges have been a thing that has deterred me from buying some books. Currently, I think I only have one book with deckle edges, and that would be The Beguiled. I've been going round and round with this book. I didn't want it as much as to go and pick it up from the Kindle Store, but everytime I saw it in the bookstore I wanted it. I would pick it up, hiss at the edges, then read the blurb. Damned, I really wanted it! I think I may have been courting the ugly-edged book for over half a year. It even got missing from the shelves, so when I saw it again, I thought "what the fuck", and bought it. Deckle edges and all.

Source: Google Image Search
The thing that drives me mad about these edges is the feel of it. Not only are they rough, but they feel cutting against the pads of my fingers. The unevenness of them gives a catch that's uncomfortable when you are turning the pages. For instance, normally when reading, I tend to pass the page from upper or lower side of the page, but when I open the book, I use the longer edge. Also, when a book is a page turner, usually I stick my finger between the right side page and the next, so part of the longer edge will be resting on my index finger's second minute. The roughness of these ripped pages irk me.

Sorry, I don't get the appeal. I will still buy books, but this... this just drives me up the wall. Publishers, please get over your shabby chic phase. You want my money, don't you? Then stop upsetting me with his silly edges.

No comments: