Jul 23, 2010

And On These Fridays of Ours

And so a work week has gone by, this one for my colleagues at the Babel Tower and mine, cut shorter thanks to a blown up breaker, which killed the power in the whole builiding, taking away also the air conditioning - oh, sorry, the Climatization System - and the water, which means not only no water to drink, but no use of the facilities. Things came out quite interestingly, as the power was gone for a while, we went to have lunch outside the builing, as evidently the diner wasn't working, when we were called through our friends and coworkers to return to the building to get our stuff because it had to be evacuated. Holy Cow! How come? No questions asked, just run because the emergency lights at the emergency stairs holds up two more hours. No it didn't.

It was Primal Chaos in there. Lights out, doors at every floor open to let in air and light, and people using the same staircases to go up and down, hardly any order to use them, as people met in both ways and had to dance to get through. Brigadist here and there, but not everywhere to keep the flow of people moving and controlled, no one there to aid anyone getting sick.

It was also suddenly made clear how needed a decent air circulating system is needed, as with the doors open at every floor it wasn't so hard to climb the stairs up to the 8th floor without stopping (usually I have to stop already at the 2nd, 3rd floor and then every other floor).

Get to your cubicle, put things away, grab your stuff and hit it home. Down again in the darkness.

There was no prior tests, no simulations, no suficient information, and it showed. Sad thing was that the emergency system was put out far quicker than expected, and there was no order in the evacuation. What would have happened if there were fire or an earthquake? Oh, because the jams at the exit of the parking lot - the only exit - were like those experienced at the end of the day.

Good thing was, though, that I've got to have lunch with one of the Andys, which I like, because our Andys are awesome, and we went to our beloved Italian restaurant, and had a great chat. Good thing was that the work day was far shorter. Good thing was that I've got to make all my errands Today, so tomorrow I can relax and have fun, perhaps only go to the Post Office to drop my letters, if I finish them Today.

Tomorrow I plan as well to go to visit Lau, who came back from the States, where she spent almost two weeks with our dear Roo. Hopefully i'll drop by Alix' place too, have some chat, and then ... who knows? It's weekend. The weekend came early this week!

Oh, on Sunday I hope to meet with my beloved Shimmy Gin, and have a great conversation on sooooo many things! I also want to start again my search for a perfect silver ring, my Nibelung Ring. Oh yes, of course, and I'm planning to go to Hungary to visit at the end of the year... as usual.

No comments: