Jul 29, 2019

A Week in and a Week Out

I was supposed to blog last week, and I did have stuff to write about, but I didn't. Not like you haven't noticed that, mind you, but I just noticed. And now a key on my keyboard isn't working, and that's driving me up the wall.

So, I have a few things I should be taking care of, even though I'm not doing it fully. What's on my To Do List is:

  1. Work on my Marketing thesis, specifically on chapters 4 and 5.
  2. Do my German homework for tomorrow
  3. Check the rest of the chapter for tomorrow's German lesson
  4. Read the next three chapters of Die Welle for the German Book Club
  5. Secure an interview for the thesis with a group of people at work.
  6. Check on the things I need to know about the new Tax Reform.
  7. Update the accountings I'm doing
  8. Advance some in reading Clash of Kings.
Property of Stormberry
Ok, that last one is for fun, but still...

Today I took vacations from the office to be able to submit my application for a Political Economics Academic Masters Degree at my old university. It's not exactly with the University, but a research center that works tightly with it, and which I believe has been formed within the university.

I knew that the new coordinator is a guy that used to be a classmate of mine back in the day, but today as I saw him my heart exploded out of my chest. I was so very happy and so full of love! I don't know if I can explain this feeling fully, but I was so very happy to see him, and so happy at the prospect of have him in my life again. Like reuniting with a long lost dear friend or a relative.

For this Masters program there were a bunch of requirements that took me a while to complete, and I think I was missing one of them, though probably was one of those you don't really need, since when I submitted my pack it was all checked and the lady that got my papers was elated that I was from the UNA. She kept gushing about how she was so happy I was enrolling because it was always good to have students that understood the system and the requirements. I felt so at home, and I almost told her: "I know! I also was missing putting my brain to good use". Not a nice thing to say, but not for it less true.

I was also so taken off my back with my former classmate, who was looking so, so well, so groomed, so sleek, so rested and happy... He showed me his office and it is the most spacious, beautiful office you could dream of. My face was splitting from so much smiling and awing and I did tell him he was probably one of the few of us who actually made it in life. He was so totally dear and sweet as to duck his face and blush. What a lovely, dear thing! I think I could hug him all day. I'm so, so happy for him, and it makes me happy too. And if all goes well, and next year I'll enroll in the Masters program and see him, I'll not only fill my head with fabulous, brand new knowledge, but I'll also fill my soul with the sight of him and his good fortune in life.

Isn't wonderful to see your dear ones succeed? I'm sure as hell are just... so blessed.

Work and homework and studies can wait. I need to bask in the beauty of this.

Now, last week we had the Reading Rush, an international bookish competition for book-content-creators, such as booktubers, bookstagrammers, book-podcasters and so on. The kids that signed in were supposed to read seven books in seven days, and several of my friends made it. I didn't even try it, because I know myself: if I set myself to such a hard competition, I'm going to get grumpy and balk. Or I'll do something stupid like when I get on a fitbit competition, and I would have taken the whole week out on vacations and would have read 14 books in the  gods know what time. Actually, in the whole week I read only one book - Red, White & Royal Blue -  and I didn't like it.

And talking about books I didn't like, can you believe I didn't like Call Me By Your Name? I don't get it, I loved the movie, I love the idea and I love the academic parlance. How is it possible I didn't like this book? But lo and behold, I didn't. I can't say I hated it because that's not true. It just... didn't perform to the standard I had held it up to. Red, White & Royal Blue was my leveling book, and.. it was good in the first quarter and then it just went down the sewer.

Why authors do that? Why can't they be consistent with quality and the expectation I have of them?

I've been also writig my novel, and... that's progressing. I though this part would be easier because I have so much material for this in my journals, but I just don't feel it. I'm just not feeling the love or the despair. One ofthe girls has read a bit of it, and she found it funny. I'm glad about that. I must take the good mood for as long as it lasts, because I don't know how will she react with the death fantasy I included.

No comments: