May 29, 2019

Readings

Today I learned a new, disturbing thing: there's something called "red pill" and there are "red pill books". This is not actually important to what I want to talk about - though I haven't yet formed the whole idea of that - but it's in the top of my mind right now, and I want it out. So, this Red Pill thing has a bit to do with that iconic scene in the Matrix, where Neo is offered to take a Blue Pill (everything goes back to normal) or a Red Pill (open your eyes to the truth). In the context I saw it - it was in relation to suggested Red Pill Books - it wants to indicate harsh realities, naked truth and the ugly underside of life. It is also related to communities that concentrate men reacting against feminism and what they perceive to be feminism.

Really people, stop the stupid.

So, today - aside from that moment of shock at facing one of the sides of mankind's appaling stupidity - I'm quite happy. Tired, sleepy, and a bit behind with my readings, BUT happy. Part of it is because yesterday I've got my German test back and lo and behold, I've got a very good grade. Yay! Not that I think I know German, of course, but after profusely praying and begging to the Gods to help me, it did happen. It was weird, because I do felt like it went well - which happens even when I don't do that well - but I was surprised to notice that one of my friends, who usually excel at test, didn't do as well. Be it as it may, I did well and I am happy.

I'm also quite pleased with the book I'm reading... that is not in German, namely Game of Thrones from the saga A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm loving the book, and I want to do nothing but read all day long (the idea of taking out a few days of holidays to stay at home and read hand indeed crossed my mind), which is not so good, because I'm fallin back on my reading of Der Vorleser, by Bernhard Schlink, which is the one we are reading for the German Reading Club or Lesenklub, as we call it. Im Krebsgang is currently held back, while I push myself up to speed.

Three books at once... Kids, I really hate doing this. It's not funny, but I can't stop now.

I'm walking around with a backpack full of stuff, which includes my copy of Game of Thrones in a book sleeve, my Kindle and a notebook in which I take notes about Der Vorleser... in another book sleeve, and my journal... in a third booksleeve. It's uncomfortable, stupid... and I can't let them go. Life is crazy.

I still have other to-dos to tackle, such as run the fixings on the half of my marketing thesis that's already ready, and for which the comment of my tutor and advisers is "it's such a good text, so well written, so..." And I'm not feeling it. I feel like I underperform because I'm bored, and nobody notice it, but rather celebrate it like I've written an eloquent piece unveiling the secrets of the universe. It unnerves me. It's not arrogance, it's disdain at the poor levels required from the students.

Another to-do is starting the enrolling for the Masters Degree in Economics. Back to the Alma Mater and my beloved Economics. Boy, that does make my heart skip a beat.

I'm floating in a world of unformed, unmade, unthought ways. Plans are still up in the air, half cooked, and I'm waiting to land.

No comments: