Sep 16, 2019

My First Kaweco

Source: property of Stormberry

On Sunday, while my folks were washing my dad's car, they found a fountain pen I thought I've lost - or worse yet, someone had snitched. This was my first ever Kaweco fountain pen.

To be perfectly honest, when I bought it in... was it july? Earlier? I bought it on a whim because my best friend Prue told me about this Kaweco Shop in our country and I HAD TO have one. You know the feeling, right? Right? ... No? Oh... me neither.

Anyway, when I entered the store I knew what I wanted - in broad lines: I wanted the classic Kaweco style pen. Originally I had my eyes set on something like the demonstrator (though I don't really like it, because the material is cloudy, not crystal clear) or a brass one. Up close the demonstrator definitively wasn't what I wanted, and the brass one was too expensive for what I would pay for a pen... like that. Now, don't get me wrong, the pen isn't all that expensive, when you consider the normal range of prices for fountain pens available for the middle range collector, BUT I measure the price of pens based on what can I pay, and how much am I willing to pay depending on the aesthetics and feel of the pen.

Checking the whole selection available, I decided in the end to get a black Kaweco Sport. The one thing I didn't like was the golden nib and the golden inscription, since I like silver much better than gold. When I tried this pen, I also found issues with the glide of the nid, which for me was too toothy.

Given the experience I had with it, I was displeased but I took it like a pen-test. I tried it and I didn't like it. Then it got lost within the week I bought it. :-(

I was sad but also not so sad, because I didn't really liked the pen... but I kinda missed it. This is how the next weekend I went back and bought my second Kaweco Sport in a skin-like color, with silver nib and silver inscription. And with this one I was very pleased! From time to time I missed my scratchy black, but then I bought also by beloved ... I have no idea what it's called... Student, I believe. Anyway, I have a new, yellow Kaweco fountain pen that doesn't have the shape of the Sport. It came in a tin box, which I love, and has many chrome details, which I don't like, BUT the pen is fabulous to write with, so I forgive the chrome.

My life was all nice and happy, and then my mom comes into the house and asks me:

"Is this yours?" holding up a scratched black stick.

My eyes just bulged out, because Sweet Gods! It was my first Kaweco Sport! I was so, so, so happy! I quickly took the pen, checked it, and noted that I love it all the more now that it's all scratched and scarred. I washed it out and filled it up with ink from a bottle my adorable friend Arjen sent my way - Sailor 731. I tried it in my journal... and it's still scratchy like a scared, wet cat. But it's back to me!

Isn't life something so interesting?

No comments: