May 13, 2008

Buckle the Beer

There's this article on CNN about this dude in Australia who buckled up a 30 can carton of beer, but let a five year old unbuckled in the car. How could someone do that? Easy. People think like this:
  1. The kid has arms to hold himself. The beer has no arms.
  2. The kid can think and take care of itself. The beer can't.
  3. I can tell the kid to sit tight and behave. I can tell nothing to the kid.
  4. I had to pay to get my beer. Kid came for free.
  5. After I had the kid, I had to pay for it. I paid for the beer and after that it's only free pleasure.
Fuck yeah more than one motherfucker would secure the beer!

I think it's not a matter of being horrified for this incident, but more a matter of realizing all the things we do we shouldn't because "nobody is looking" or because "it ain't as dangerous as people say", such as crossing highways on unmarked points with cars rushing up and down at full speed... with kids. Oh, I have seen that many times. Play with the kid in the car while you are driving and the car IS in movement. (My dad does that all the time, no matter how many times I tell him to keep his fucking eyes on the fucking road.) Get into the wrong line to cut some traffic because "nobody is coming the other way".

This from the top of my mind.

I still have like... oh well... 13-7= 6 chapters to go from the last season of Queer as Folk. After that I believe I'll be free to do as I please and take better care of my blogs, my writings and my friends. finished the book Roo left for me, "Bareback", and I must say, it wasn't that impressive. Really. Now I'm continuing with the Diary of Anais Nin. Forgot how nice was it to read her journals. Her image is so fragile. It seems to me she needs to be fragile and delicate in order to survive in the world she has embedded herself into. She seeks to be strong, but also stays away from actual expressions of strength as if the toughtness of it would mash the fragility of the persona she has built to be. Deeply interesting.

As I read her lines, I can't stop thinking of Carrie and Marie-Joséphine. Marie-Joséphine is definitively the "June" for her compulsive lying and her need to pretend to be someone she's not and Carrie is definitively the "Anais" for the weakness of her character, in what personality and behavior respects, but as we gain introspective into Anais' mind, she has a lot of other people I know. Mostly Carrie, even in things such as her need to evade direct questions and don't open up about who she is.

On the other end of the scope, the book I have been having trouble to read, there's "Suite Française", where a truly though yet refined Irene Némirovsky develops for us a word of burgeoise absurd in the face of the war, death and destruction of all posessions and symbols, where status is trying to be grasped, held by some tiny corner and carried through. Common sense is defied by prestige, image and social structures. Strenght can live in a woman without making her less a lady. A warrior, a fighter is not a bad kind of woman, only a different kind. In the books I have read of witchcraft (research for a novel, you mind), there's this idea of the "goddess" as maiden, mother and old woman. Kind of what we all women are, and actually what we all are, as mankind. We are all the maiden and the lad, the mother and the father, the wiseman and the wise-woman. However, the world wants to see only the maiden and only the lad or the father. All other aspects of people are nicely tucked away. Anais talks about the strong woman she is or has inside, which I perceive more as a survivor rather than an out-there fighter. Certainly not someone to lead a manifestation, but someone to hold together a team that needs to get through something. Irene is both a survivor and a keen observant, a pointer, like a sniper that can't get herself to shoot. But her eye is on the target.

Books written by women have a taste... such a taste!

No comments: