May 30, 2008

Tropic of Cancer

07:24 hours. I came to the office, put my things down, washed my "Arte Venezolano del Siglo XX" mug and started started the primal programs in my computer. Microsoft Outlook, Windows Media (to listen to some online radio), Internet and opened my work as well. Sophie West keeps sending me invitations to participate in a "Dark Fibre" convention, to which I evidently won't go because a) what the fuck do I have to do with fibre, and b) because my superiors are so wrapped in the concept of "trip" they don't care about the content or importance of the seminar, only the fact that it is "outside the country" and so they rather go themselves. Sad but true. Have no idea who this Sophie person is, or where did she get my address and thinks that I'd be interested in fibre, so I keep erasing her e-mails. Kinda sad, I guess, that there's people trying to "fish" interested parties to events such as this, and in this way. It's kind of like throwing a party and screaming in the street: "someone please come to my birthday party!". Wonder if they have me listed for the time I was researching on mobile data globally, or when I was doing the Roaming research.

Oh well, I poured myself a mug-full of coke and started with my daily "fill up". E-mails, newspapers... CNN's headlines talk about a new tribe discovered in the Amazonas (great! May we offer them 3G mobile services with great coverage and e-mail accounts, websites so they can sell their work to the outside world online?). What may be life like cutted out from this world? Deep in the jungle, not knowing about gas and gas prices, young men and women aimlessly diying in a war staged for the profit of a few, AIDS eating away continents, thousands of people dying for natural phenomenons, and all sprinkles over with "Sex and the City", the movie. My Haiko Pet, Locky, got a bowler hat from a friend... and they I, for some unknown reason, checked on Amazon. Once there, I was caught by a recommendation of "Tropic of Capricorn" by Henry Miller, whom I've started to like due to what I read of him in Anais Nin's journal. I decided to check out the other too, "Tropic of Cancer" and ading them into my cart (which is already $100 heavy). I went to check out the comments, and was kinda surprised to see one star ratings. What the fuck, I decided to read some of those comments. When it's a gay book, or some modern book, I pay close attention to these ratings because there you know what can you hate from the book, and so decide whether it worths to buy it or not. (I must admit, sometimes those one-star comments have sold me the book. when I'm seeking for fluff and sexy, someone commenting to some book with a title like "Horny Boys Get it Going" that "it's just sex, sex, sex and no plot at all. Disgusting sex, extremely graphic and long. I wanted to read a story, not a compiling of the cut out scenes of the gay Kama Sutra"... need I say more?)

Henry Miller is a classic of the XX century, so who could think little of him? Well, not everybody likes him. The main thing going on about this book was that it was an egotrip of a jerk, a chovinist pig, who uses his book to go on a misogynistic rampage, talking only about himself, dosing graphic sex freely and thinking he's much like Rimbauld. Now, as far as I understand, both "Tropic of Cancer" and "Tropic of Capricorn" are "portraits if June Edith Miller, Henry Miller's second wife. he was having a very unpretty moment in his marriage when he was writing both those books, so yeah, it might have come out cutting. These books show th mind of the author and I believe it is brave of him to expose even his unpretty side, things that might be criticized by others (like it has happened). So he hates women. So what? I dislike a lot of people based on prejudices, but hey! that's me. The right of living is not deceded upon what I think or not. Misogynism do not disappear by not mentioning it, just like antisemitism do not go away by banning its public expression. Actually, things outspoken, placed in the open are easier to fight, because it becomes easier to target the problem and maybe even find the root of it. Work it, do not repres it. Then again, the man is dead, what are you gonna do about that?

I believe that book, just like Anais Nin's "House of Incest" is meant to me read seeing it as an expression of someone's mind, inner self and inner world. This is what goes inside people. I know you want us all to be pure and righteous, and pretty, and proper, delicate and polite and gentle, gathered, composed and all that crap, but even if the surface is so, the core is murky, dark and free, ugly and human. Unleashed and infested. This is a glimpse to who some are inside. Learn not to judge because that's your disgusting, maggot infested wound.

There was, however, one one-star comment that left me perplexed. The person was warning everybody that the book wasn't a GEOGRAPHY book and that it had nothing to do with the actual Tropic of Cancer. He has no idea who his fella is (Henry Miller), but better be warned: NO GEOGRAPHY! Please, try not to laught. My eyes are wide as I press my lips together to keep from bursting so loud the building would tremble. I only have one question: "who buys a book withouth reading at least the back cover?" On Internet yo can read what the publisher has to say. Didn't that give ya a tip? Perhaps we should warn this reader that "White Fang" by this fella, Jack London, isn't about orthodoncy. You know, just in case he finds the story of wolves slightly disturbing. Oh, and "Crime and Punishment" isn't a book of Law. Maybe we should also tell him that "The Capital" is not a guide to invest either... though you might be able to make some money with the practices depicted there somewhere where slavery ain't that "ilegal" or controlled.

No comments: