Mar 26, 2010

Coffee or Tea?

Some days ago my friend Joana, from Portugal, wrote an entry about tea-lovers titled Where tea lovers go?. Well, I thought immediately of my friend Dragonfly, who is a real entusiast of tea, and thought this is a topic I can't add to it, because I'm a coffee-person.You are what you are and there's no changing that. My friend Sartassa, who is also friends with Joana, replied to her entry with an entry of her own about her tea-person habits. Wow, that was pretty! In her entry This is to all the tea lovers out there, was simply fabulous, filled with loads and loads of pictures.

Teas are quite cool, because you can get a lot of types and a lot of flavours that range from the bitter to the sweet, from the intense to the soothingly gentle. I, myself, tend often to witch-kitchen around with teas, brewing this or that depending on the ailment I wish to sooth. Ginger, honey and lemon tea for flu, chamomile and peppermint for the monthly pains, peppermint for tummy aches, chamomile for upset stomachs, green tea for a better digestion, tilo for the nerves or to sleep well.Orange and peach teas are awesome for breakfast, apple&cinnamon are crazy for afternoons. At home, with Kari, I'm getting my little "witchcraft kitchen" together, buying all interesting, amazing teas I find, storing them in baskets of beautifully painted tin cans. For me even the aesthetics of keeping the tea, or the coffee are tremendously important. Everything must be aesthetically pleasing.

However, even so I have my tea-habits, I am a coffee-person. I may not drink coffee everyday, I may not drink it at home, but if I can choose between coffee and tea, I go for coffee... okay, except at planes, because teas are often quite the same, but coffees can range from superb brewing of the gods to Nescafé crap (sorry, Nescafé can't be called coffee, though no matter how bad it is, it can't be used to measure the lowest kind of coffee).

My friend Sartassa asked me how do I like my coffee. Well, I like it black, really strong, and from a good brand. I basically drink only Britt, a Costa Rican export quality gourmet coffee. I was a bit worried, truth to be told, about what would I do without Britt in Hungary, once I move back there. Was I going to have to fly over here twice a year, at least to stock up? Well, it seems there's no need for that as Britt offers online shopping and shipping all over the world. Once Kari goes back home we will be trying it out.

I used to dislike coffee because if it's strong, bitter taste when I was younger. I've got into it in the University, when I had to try something to stay awake to study. I still didn't like the taste at the begining, and it wasn't all that good for keeping me up (I kept falling asleep between 2 am and 3 am), but little by little it grew on me. It amazes me that both Joana and Sartassa comment using black tea to stay up. It would never do the trick for me.

The first coffees I drank had plenty of sugar (2 spoonfuls), or where fancy kinds, full of wipped cream, cinnamon, cocoa and so on. Then, as I started skipping the sugar from my tea, copying my aunt, (still do so, I think sugar ruins the true taste of tea), I considered taking the same considerations for my coffee. After all, though Hungarian too, I'm Costa Rican and Costa Rica is a coffee-land, growing one of the best coffees in the world, so it is almost my patriotic duty to appreciate coffee. I didn't take the sugar off right away from it (have never drank coffee with milk or cream), but I reduced it gradually (1,5 spoonfuls, 1 spoonful, 0,5 spoonfuls) until I took it out of it. This happened when I was already working in this company, but some 6-7 years ago. Soon, with my then good friend Skylar, discovered also the absolute pleasure of putting cigarettes and coffee together. There's nothing in life as good as that, particularly if your smokes are Djarum Black, the fancy, extraordinary clove cigarettes, or kretek.

Though Joana had a different idea with this, and so I must detach my entry from hers (because I'm not a tea-lover), I'd like to extend it to others who have blogs and would like to make a small entry (with pics) about their tea habits, and for those who don't, to revel for a moment in their tea memories.

6 comments:

ohjoana said...

Was nice from you to see that you mentioned my post too, besides Patricias. I think this is a really great topic to discuss, today everyone looks to be a coffee or a tea person, so I guess they turned into opposites *ah ah* like black and white, like cat and dog ... I know the last one isn't the best example, but people tend to call themselves a "cat person" or a "dog person". I never read about someone who is a "fish person". Anyway, I also like coffee... but I am not expert in it and I like it when it is made at home or in Cafés I know, most of the Cafés through where I passed in the last years looked to forget that some people drink coffee because it is a moment of pleasure and not to drink just because, and in a rush. Not everyone has the ability to serve a good coffee too.

Have a great weekend,

Joana

Storm Bunny said...

Oh, from the moment I saw your post I considered answering to the task, BUT it was about tea, and tea and I... well, you already know. However your post was, and is so GOOD! I just needed an excuse to mention it :-P

Goof to hear from you again, Girl!

ohjoana said...

Well, but it is about the other side of tea lovers, coffee lovers and the title of your post is "Coffee or Tea" I didn't think about it but I should because I realized that it became nice, some people are writing about their teatimes and other who doesn't like tea so much about their coffee time, both moments of pleasure. You could add this post to my Mclinky if you want, but if you don't wants it's okay too, I liked the idea no matter what! Next time I'll think about the other side of things *eh eh*

I didn't come to your blog often in the last times, I come but I didn't write nothing, shame on me... I apologize.

Storm Bunny said...

To Ecologic Storyteller: I'd love to add it to your Mclinky! So honored you offered! Now, how do I do that???

Sartassa said...

At the end of her post there's a picture saying "mc linky" you just click on it and another window opens where you have to fill in the title of your post and the url ;)

I loved your entry as well and thankies for mentioning mine and J's. I didn't know you were into tea to cure whatever you're up to. In the past I've only used tea bags but more and more I try to adore tea as you seem to use it, the herbs them self, to mix them.

hugs
Patricia

ohjoana said...

Pat explained quite well, so excuse me for my delay but you know how to do it know :) Do not write something very long in the space you have there, I guess that is even better to you to write something short like your blog name or the title of your post and blog name. I forgot to tell this to the others, but it is a way to attract the others attentions to your blogs :) We shall help each other how we can!