Mar 30, 2010

Not Everything Must Get New Philosophic Theories Out of Us

Would have never thought it, and had never seen anything like that, but today I found a maggot in my mandarine. My morning mandarine. Ewwwww! A maggot! It was crawling on one of the segments, whitish-translucent with a hideous black head.It was the first time in my life I saw a maggot in a mandarine, and I was one of those children that attacked every tree in the area and ate fruit from the branches, so I have had my fair share of maggots in my life. (As a matter of fact there were fruits such as guayaba, jocote, guava, mamón, that I actually thought for many years that couldn't be bought, only picked from trees.) However, my first thought after seeing the crawling insect was "could the rest be also bursting with these things?" The mandarine, honest, was so delicious I didn't want to throw it away, and so I hoped that my strong-coffee modified gastric juices would take care of any maggot that escaped my teeth and made it to my belly. Then, all in all, it's protein, right?

Since I was so horrified about the maggot, and add to it, I haven't touched my blog in quite a while (so unlike me, I know, what the fuck is wrong wit me lately?), I decided to write about it. Then I started thinking: "Okay, but what should I write? Make an analogy about how things can surprise us and even the healthy looking can hide inside disgusting secrets? Or maybe an analogy about how things that look bad are really not so bad after all, and it's just a matter of how we look at it and how we relate at it? Because why would a maggot in a mandarine make us throw the whole mandarine away now, when in our youth, unless there were hundreds of maggots in the guayaba we would simply pick them out?" Here I stopped myself and questioned suddenly my thinking. Am I Socrates, that I have to derive a theory out of everything? Must I philosophy and infere from the mandarine the mankind or the universe? No, actually my only concern was a maggot in my mandarine, and all other thoughts were just happening.

So what has been going on then? Blogging makes us think in a trascendental way, of demands it from us. But then, nobody is paying me to blog, and I actually write for myself, (honored, though that there's people out there interested in reading my blabbing :-) Thank you for your kindness!), so I am not looking for a counter or anything like it, so why should I, or anyone for that matter, go Deepak Chopra from a maggot in a mandarine? So I won't (though partially I already did) and I'll leave it to you, Dear Reader, to draw any thought and any conclusion you find suiting. For me my conclusion is: the next time I'll eat a mandarine I'll first separate all it's segments, check them out and then eat the good ones.

1 comment:

Sartassa said...

OMG, for me there is nothing worse in the world than a maggot or a worm. It's my absolute trauma, the thing I am afraid of the most, which sounds weird to most of the people I know. Still I think beeing afraid of clowns for instance is weird but many people are.
hugs
Patricia