Sep 13, 2006

My Dear Snyegi,

How the Hell do I get to underline something here? I've been trying to do that, but it just don't want to let me. Well, I guess I'll have to still work on that some more.

In a way I like You better than the « lj », because You are much more flexible in several things, though I can't hide segments of the entry so it appears smaller and the whole outcomming of the journal looks better. I like your font better too. Which one is it?

My friend Skylar came today to work. She has been quite silent. I guess she's still sad. -- Really, maybe I should, but I don't get it. Oh well, I guess she will be fine and back to her regular self soon.

People say: « Tell me who you befriend with, and I'll tell you who you are ». Well, since I have this is not a journal-journal, and I really have nothing extraordinary to report so far, I'll talk to you about... well, my friends and acquintances and workmates, whom I lovingly call: co-leeches.

If she would see this, she would kill me. Thanks Hyne she has no idea I have this blog... or anyone for that matters. I would like to show you my friend Skylar.


I know, she's pretty, though not very photogenic. I guess she's a nice friend, she's very cool in any case. Now, what you see there is her cubicle... kinda. mine is more secluded, hers is very open. And yes, she's THAT MESSY on daily basis.

On her workstation, a battered metal and laminated-something so-called desk, one God-knows-what "cement" wall and two laminated paper division walls, she has an assortment of papers, documents, pens, pencils, decoration items, raging in the spectrum of Hello Kitty and Precious Moments thingies, plus Sad Dog things. She also has food and around 3 to 5 agendas to write down things, plus I thing two function as journals. (Why does she carry them to the office? Perhaps she hasn't discovered yet the world of « Online Blogging and Journals ».)

She's a very competent professional, and quite academic in the sense that she can recite by heart the 8-P's of Marketing, and knows all the steps in the process of... all the processes you are thought at the University. She remembers to perfection all kinds of procedures and can do absolutely anything by the book. Really. She has a MBA and is going for a DBA.

In that sense I admire her a lot. I could never do what she does, for I have never learned things by heart. I do everything by logic. Naturally there are things I do remember, basical things such as elasticity formulas, the composition of Cost and Income, the nature of Demand and Supply, or what's my name, nationality and such. Other than that, after you tell me a bit of what are you asking me, I tend to rebuild the models in my head in a logical way until I get to the answer. It's how I've done it all my life. But Skylar... man, you can wake her up in the middle of the night and ask her to give you the steps for an Internal Control Procedure, plus prepare a procedure description, an activity mapping AND a fluxogramm, and she will do it without a blink.

Other than that she suffers from chronical bad luck. I guess her real name is Skylar Murphy. If something can come out wrong for her, it WILL come out wrong. She's also a bit hot headed and stubborn and does so many stupid things it leaves you gobsmacked. And I mean, a very big and mean GOB came directly from Gobland and smacked you. She lacks of common sense for a lot of things. It is as if she wanted to ignore the things that actually do happen around her, and so she rushes into things without thinking. You would like to tell her:

- Hey, slow down, cowgirl, you no need to rush. Take yo' time, smell the violets, think about it well... check other options... or just give it time.

But no, she jumps into it head first and watch out for the rocks because here's com'n the Big Kahuna. Then, of course, she ends up paying dearly for her mistakes, though she doesn't seem to learn from them. Either she's hiding behind the façade of Cool, Strong, Professional, Working, Independent, High Power Woman while actually being just a simple, shy girl with simple expectations from life, such as a home and a family and bid dinners with everybody around the table, or she's just too strongheaded to ever realize what's wrong with the mix.


Continuing with other people, these from the office, these you see here are well, Gabi and Tati. I'm the woman in Purple with long hair.

They are two of my workmantes, though they don't work in my department. We all belong to the same area, but this area is divided in different departments, and we are each from a different department. I wonder if anyone can tell from the picture that we are really not that close to each other.

Skylar really dislikes Tati, and their other workmate, Karol. Those three are the ones who Wedding-Stampeeded this year. Tati was the first in getting engaged, but then Karol married in April, Skylar in July and Tati this weekend.

Karol and Tati are the opposite to Skylar. Their working methods... well, they can do the official procedure, and they are good at composing official documents, which I wouldn't be able to do even to save my life, but when it comes to "content", they are both very "unprovided". Supposedly they dislike me, I have no idea why, nor I have noticed it. Karol did... well. In the beginning, Karol, Dani and I had lunch together. Since I didn't know them, and I had little to tell them, I carried a book to luch to read. I guess Karol found herself offended by it, and then they stopped calling me to lunch with them. Not like I minded, since then I stopped going to the work canteen and went to the mall with my book. Other than that, no one has told me in my face that they dislike me. So I adopted the policy of not aknowledging any "ill intention" or "ill will" unless clearly outspoken in my face, so I can defend against it. There's no point in wearing myself off on stuff that is not outspoken and agaisnt what I can't really start any procedure without looking like the "trouble maker".

Skylar doesn't think so. She had been frontally confronted by Tati and Karol, who told her that they didn't want her there the first day she was here. Now she wears her nerves off with any hint of complot or unspoken ill. I think that's stupid. She's giving them the tools to make her look bad.


In a time I was a bit closer to Gabi. It's not like we were real friends or anything, I was just polite to her in a time when she struggled to fit. Add to it, I have done some foreseeing for some people, and she wanted me to read her future. I'm not quite happy at doing that, but some people just can't wait for their future and keep asking and asking.

The problem with foreseeing is that sometimes these things just hit you, come to you. I had the notion that her father was going to die, I could feel it, and he died. She was asking me a while before it happened, but... fuck, how do you say someone that her father is going to die? Plus, I tend to see more blood and death than good things. Lately I've seen the death of two of the children. Shall i say the mothers that the kids might die in a schoolbus accident? And what if it means something else, what if it's just one of my random ideas? It happens, you know?

Back to Gabi... you know, perhaps Gabi and Skylar are alike: They are desperate to be accepted by this group. I mean, Skylar rushed into getting married, though she says she didn't, and she bitches about not being invited to the bachelor parties of Tati and Karol, nor to the wedding, nor to the "dinner" all our workmates organized for Tati and Dani carefully excluding us.

I don't mind it because I'm broken, so I wouldn't be able to afford the gift. Truth to be told, I didn't even wanted to get invited to Skylar's wedding, and I do thought that my obligations were done with the china sugarpot I brought her from Paris. So, not being invited to their wedding? It really doesn't bother me. It's their wedding and they can invite whomever they want. Oh no, but people around me have to do a big case out of it. Even my boss got into the mess.

Why can't they just leave things be?

No comments: