May 24, 2010

...and Back @ Da Office

Ladies and Gentlemen, Today, after a... (1,2,3,4...) 4 and 1/2 day absence I am BACK at the office, live and kicking. Yep, a day that started really-really stormy, to the point of having me change my selected outfit for the day for something else, linen trousers for a skirt (under the knee, since the scar and the scabs are still there), matching blouse and shoes, and putting on from the begining my trusty rubber boots, and now with a brand new aqua-green plastic raincoat, courtesy of my Dad. It's really good even if you look kinda ballooney in it, specially if you tuck your bag under it. (Why wouldn't you? Do you want to look good or do you want to keep your stuff dry? I want to keep my stuff dry. Besides, I'm not out there to pick up someone. I do have standards, unlike others I happen to know, no pun intended.)

It would be beyond the point to tell you that piles and piles of work were waiting for me. No worries, though, nothing I can't manage. My mailbox was also stuffed full with e-mails, sort of as if people didn't get the "memo" that I had fallen flat on my tummy on Monday and that Insurer sent me home on sick-leave. Or what? Did they expected me to still come to work with my knee dripping pus all over the place? Swell people, really swell. Today, however, most of them came to see me and ask me about my knee or "The Accident". Well, the knee and I are fine, thanks for asking. So, they did know I landed like a bull in Pamplona and scrapped up my knee pretty bad. So why-oh-why the e-mails? Then again it is the prerrogative of human logic to be anything but logic - according to the very requierements and definitions for it set by the principles of logic as an exclusively human feature that has allowed mankind to evolve and conquer the world - which gives room for philosophy to try and explain the phenomenon responsible for genius and evolution as well as for failures and gigamontic stupidities.

Oh well, the work is being handled, some of it has already been checked-corrected-sent, others simply requiered a current-status report, no biggie and others requiere all my evil to check-and-destroy. Yep, life can be delightful. This kind of remind me of this letter I was writing yesterday to a beloved, sweet friend of mine, to whom I told that ever since I was a little girl, I loved to play office. I invented all kinds of documents and formulas and stuff and stamped them with my little flower stamps. Remembering that reminded me that I'm actually working in a line I have always loved. In that sense I'm blessed, specially since a lot of people work for the money or work in a given position simply because that's "all they have" and maybe they feel that there's no chance they could make a living by doing what they would love to do. Gara be though. I always wanted to work in an office, with papers, and that's what I do. I wanted to "check" papers and that's what I do. Later on I wanted to be an economist and once again, God spoiling me the way He does, that's what I do. So really, all in all, it's awesome to be me, right?

Then again it kinda got me wondering, why is it that there's so much people unhappy with their jobs, working on something because that's what they can and have to do, but can't do what they would love to do, maybe don't even know what would they love to do, but know that it's not what they are doing. Hn, could it be that today's jobs are like the "arranged marriages" of some centuries ago? That thought puts the whole deal in a quite scary perspective.

No comments: