Nov 19, 2008

The Powerless Mob and the Sneaky Tumor

Regarding Monday's entry, a friend of mine expressed his interest in how would I "tackle the monster", or more precisely, which are my ideas to "get under its skin". I'm pretty much talking here about a political monster, or shall we say a monster that has a political face. Well, first of all, one of the harderst things to do with one of these creatures is to attack it upfront. Political movements, on the surface, at least, try to get their way, make things happen by rising crowds and trying to make people act as a single cohesive force. The problem with it is that such a thing hardly happens. It might cost blood, too, and not everybody is willing to pay in such a currency or other "similar coins". It usually takes something really big and really oppressive and then a very convincing, cohesive force to make a big lunp of people work under one, organized mind. So, the idea of a social revolt is hardly doable. It's poetic, it's loable, desired and fair, but that's not a practical tool to weaken a political monster.

The way, however, is the same that has been used time and again to take a chip out and put another in its place: work with it and undermine it. Use its strenght against it, and pull out the pillars that hold up its weakest points. This, more than just babling about ideology and proposals and what you want to see in its place, demands research. Learn your monster, watch it, study it, find its patterns, learn its strong and weak points and then organized the methodical, systematic attack. I think you have far more chances to succeed if instead of building up a monster to take out the other monster, locking horns and taking the blows, you make yourself a tiny cancer-cell and lodge into the monster, lump up into a tiny tumor, invisible to the monster, and scout the monster, send out tiny cells, to strategical places so that when you metastasize not only the end comes swift, but no chimio can reach to you.

I have studied this monster and I believe I have a few ideas about where to send my cells, though I still need to form a tiny lump. I'm scounting here and there, looking for unsuspecting cells to work. ^_^ This is one little cancer-girl simply looking around, planning and working out a meanie plan to kill a monster with the minimal collateral damage.

I've been writing to Jules, as usual, discussing an old matter, and hopefully this time we will bury the axe for good. (Does this expression exists for real, or I'm just picking up from Spanish and Englishizing it?) It kinda pisses me off, to be truthful. However, I love Jules to no ends, and so I'll seek to ignore the feeling of having someone "imposed on me". However, it's really hard to shut that little me in my head, that raises her eyebrows behind her glasses and sips her coffee while pragmatically asking a very reasonable question: "Why does this relationship has to be my problem?" Truth is that we do not live in Elm Street and we can't be always all happy and fun around each other. Nor everybody loves everybody else. Some people dislike each other. Carrie dislikes Mario, Víctor dislikes Kate, and well, Skylar dislikes Tati and Karo (whom I don't really like, but with whom I've a cordial relationship that hasn't been severed by stepping on turfs), and we are still friends. I just make sure people stay away from each other. Carrie knows that Mari and I can't bear each other's presence, and so does Mario, so they live with it. Víctor knows that Iván and I are better kept separated, since I think he's toxic and he thinks whatever he wishes to think... assuming he's capable to process thoughts. Do they tear up their hems and try to bring East and West to dine together? No.

Funny thing is that, so far, Jules knew that Zalavári and I weren't on speaking terms and he had no problem with that whatsoever. So, he knows, simply knows the mechanic of "keep apart friends". Why is it so different now? Ain't like I won't understand if he chooses to spend the major holidays with Kata, or if I'll make a fuss if he spends the 99.9% with her. Dude, she's his girlfriend, I'm his buddy. So, what's really lurking under this sudden need to make ends meet? He does have explained me that he loves us both, and would hate to lose any of us, which for me, truth to be told, sounds like a threat: "behave or I'll outcast you of my life". O_ô Dude... come on, we are grown ups. However if that's the only way he sees out of this whirlpool he has stepped into, I'll step aside, hold the gate and wave good-bye. ^_^ One must always sport a smile on the face.

I pose myself a few questions I would like to pose to him, if I knew he would answer thruthfully. Why am I so important to him? So, I love him and he loves me back, and that's important enough, but it's not a "crippling" condition. What's happening that he needs to pull together and manage together two different relationships? I'm far apart, geographically speaking, and have been so for ages now. Our entire relationship, the love and friendship we feel for each other has been sowed in the distances, seeds planted through letters and fed with scattered visits. Our meetings grow more frequent and we get close. But that doesn't make it "cripping". Life goes by and we are a nuke in each other's path, a place to hold hands, hug and smile, share a secret and laugh a little before going back to the strive. Important, yes, but... not a part that must be there all the time. So, why is it important for him to make me meet ends with his girlfriend? Can't I simply disapprove of her, can't she simply disapprove of me and that's that? Why can't he go on keeping us apart?

No comments: