Jan 20, 2008

So, I have to wait to see "Third Man Out"?

I haven't seen many gay movies, and most of them I have seen them by accident, nor all I have seen are good. I like gay stories, make it in books or in movies, though I tend to be more critical with books since reading is a hobbie of mine I practice more than my other hobbies. Well, maybe all but writting. I have not read many good books of gay stories, make it homoerotic (my faves) or just stories imvolving gay people. But movies are something different. Perhaps one I can recall as good is "Boy Culture", which I bought before seeing. I took a big chance, but the guys were so cute! Now, I have discovered that Cinecanal is making this "Gay Tuesday" thing this month. One of the movies it will show is this one titled "Third Man Out". Now, since I'm so bad at remembering things, I wanted to rent the movie from a video store. So I went to all the videostores in town and none of them had it. Could this be a coincidence? I kind of doubt that.

There's a generalized tendency to keep out of the store all movies that deal with gay topics. Sure, you can find some of them, but then a lot of them are either never brought or they are made "disappear". Really. There's this movie, "Kissing Jessica Stein", which I truly wanted to see but never got to because I missed it on TV and they they removed it from the videostore. So, pretty much, it's either I see it on tv this Tuesday or I'll have to buy it blind on Amazon.

Reading the reviews on this movie on Amazon, it doesn't look like a good purchase. People complain about it. Then, as I just foundout, one of the lead characters is played by this actor, Chad Allen. The name might not say much to you, but this guy was in this crappy little sitcom I saw a couple of times when I was a child. I do not remember the name of the sitcom, but it was about a mother with three kids who moved to live with the father of her late husband. The older daughter was played by Shanon Doherty, and in the series she wanted to be an astronaute, and the boy, the one in the middle, was played by Chad Allen. Go figure. He goes from Saturday matines and all-American-family sitcoms to playing gay. Good one.

The gay topic are something of a "trend" today, and, well, perhaps that's the bad thing. I have no idea how it was in the old days, but today, whatever is trendy is also bad. And I mean bad as in crappy, as in lacking of quality. There was an article about how celular novels have made a big hit in Japan. The novels aren't even good, but people is so lazy, so used to the "instant" gratification, and the "the less effort it requires, the best" kind of philosophy, that these crappy stories actually have become best sellers. Shit, stories where stuff can be told in 170 characters. That's pathetic. With gay stories, I have suspected for a long time now, that it's all about "the gay" or the "cock-up-hole" thing. Quality? Who cares about that? People want something fast that leaves no impression on them, that doesn't make them think. Sad thing is, it's the same at the job. People are not looking for something good, something of quality, but something that "makes it now", or at least "seems like".

We live in a world where the content, the substance and the quality are completely irrelevant. This is not a place where I can live. I can only hope there's still a place in the world where right things, things of higher quality and jobs excellently done are still important, are still demanded and delievered. I feel so alone surrounded by so much ineptitude...

As for my hobbies... well, I have to rely either on my skills or on classics. If there is a gay-story writer who can write up to the highest standards, I would like to meet him or her. Meanwhile... well, modern literature is crap, I'll keep reading my finds and classics.

No comments: