Nov 23, 2009

Do You... Stream?

Among the many revelations brought upon me yesterday (like, yes, I'll see two men kissing on Supernatural, not the Winchester brothers though, but still, almost as part of a continued escalation of the "homoerotic subtext", which seems to be leaving the subtext to be fully incorporated in the plot as just another main character, if not stealing the spotlight and becoming The Plot, but that's not the topic of this entry), one thing that came to me was the "streaming" in the Twitterverse. Oh yeah, again that Hyne-awful "Twitverse" thing. I know, I know, most of you rather salt it and burn it extra crispy already, but believe me Un-Tweeting-Folks, the "Twitterverse" is interesting to the point of fascination thanks to all it's layers and the powerful redefinition of social contact. The "chats" made it once, it drove us all crazy, extracting us from the realm of "RL" (the so called "real life") and plunging us into a cyber world similar to that of Kill Switch in an episode of the X Files probably only I remember. (Used to have a humongus crush on Mulder and Krycek, but you don't need to know that, now do you?) The "Twitterverse" is something like it's "Evolution", breaking time in chunks, a bit more selective, and fully taking upon the format of the nowadays worrshipped SMS. 140 characters and the temporal flexibility of a forum, where you don't need to be bothered with the inocuous posting of pestering spammers unless you are stupid enough to follow them, and moronic enough not to unfollow them once you realize the kind of (if I say "human trash", would that be strong and politically incorrect? Yeah, okay, lemme find another word) --- (this is hard, you know?) --- people they are. Then, as in everything touched by people, it develops and proves itself to be as alive as those who use it. Whether because life, concentrated and purposefully focused generates life, of because it sucks it away from the living ones (the same is true to anything people do), it grows taking people with them, pulling and pushing each other further and forward. People still find the way to meet with others, to pour some RL-content into their contact.

Some of the many ways this "Twitterverse" extends into the lives of people is through the Streaming. From what I understand, this is simply a Twitter, a camera, an Internet connection and something to say live or recorded to the audience. Some would say that what you actually need is the three first components, as some streams have nothing to say. Probably some twit-attempt at reviving the Seinfield phenomenon. Yeah, like it wasn't enough to suffer it once.

Here and there I've heard of some of these streams, I've even seen a couple though so far none has had what it takes to really hold my attention. From a group of ladies around a table in the best Sex and The City style chatting about different topics, to an Afro-American girl babbling ghetto style they are all becoming today's better honed sitcoms. Little Twitters around the world gather up at the given time before their devices, make it phones, laptops, desktops, PDA's, netbooks, and giddily await the start of the show. This is today's "Mickey Mouse Club", and these streamers are these generation's Mousketeers. Each of them pick and follow those that talk to them, those their twit-friends recommend them, and then gather for hours and days to comment on the show. Who did what, who said what, who was interviewed, where was it located, what were they wearing, talked too much, talked too little, the quality of the transmission sucked big time, and so on.

From what I gather, streaming is also a way to get out there and horde up new people, new followers and push wider, broader the borders of the Twitterverse at their thumbs. It's also a way to find realisation to those dreams real life and its circumstances may have seemed to trunk and snip away before blooming. How many of us can actually expect to have a show of its own? A show dictated by oneself. In real life, with a real tv crew and the whole shebang, not many of us, but in the Twitterverse all you need are the three-four ingredients enlisted above and you've got your own show.

One of my friends, whom I know before the Twit-Era, has been working on this plan with another Twitter about making a "Mystery Stream". This set a thought in my mind, a small brain excercise: if I were to "stream" what would I stream about??? Would I interview people? Would I pick a fix set or would it be more of an "on the road" kind of streaming? Would it be live or recorded?

Well, I won't be streaming any time soon, but if I were to, right now I'd say I would make a show aired on one of my favorite days of the week: Wednesday. It would be like a blog, recorded, not live, with no fix set, but rather recorded on random places, which would be much funny since I tend to travel. The general topic would be that of Random Thoughts. Silly mysteries like that of Wonder Woman's Invisible Plane, and wicked things that would prompt wicked questions in people, like "if an evil spirit is so evil, why it always seems to wait to a given date to get loose and rampage among mankind? Why does it give people time to prepare and run?" or "Are zombies actually an ecofriendly solution for war, since it would mean the recycling of the bodies?" and follow up, "If wars were to be fought with zombies, and evidently the one who wins is the one with zombies still standing, head on place - if truce is not made before that point - but would it become a rule not to produce new batches of zombies out of fresh, living people?" Ew, that suddenly puts the phrase "Granpa is going to war" into an entirely different light.

It's decided and final, I won't stream. My thoughts are fine confined inside my skull. I think it's time for me to go back to work... and lay off Supernatural a little.

No comments: