Jul 13, 2008

How Must We Take This?

I'm really at loss. While I was cleaning my closet (and kissing good-bye so many old animé videos!!! ^_^) I put on one of my favorite channels, mainly to keep me distracted when teh work got too heavy or too much to cope at once (and you have no idea how many times that was!!! There was a point where not only I couldn't see the floor, but I wasn't sure about how could I get down of the stool I was standing on and put my foot safely on something without sliding and breaking my head open!). Oh this quite G rated channel, there were A FUCKING LOT of advertisements directed to Americans asking them to donate for different causes. All advertisements brought tears to your eyes. The poor African kids that had to sleep on plastic sheets, the mistreated animals that needed help to be rescued from abusive owners, the poor Polar bears were Mamma Bear and Baby Bear were about to die of hunger and so... and what do they requested from the viewers? Money. Send $X per month and help this or that. Two things struck me:

1. These advertisements seem to tell that Americans believe that money solve all problems, so they can literally "buy" piece of mind by giving money, but not involving themselves with the problem.

2. All these causes are directed to something "foreign" to their actual, human reality. Kids in Africa, polar bears, abused animals... but none of them were requesting help for the poor IN the U.S., the abused kids, the drugaddicts' rehab programs (charity programs and all those that should be ran by the Government), single mothers, orphans... because there are American orphans too, only they are not as fashionable as the Latin and the Asian orphans, or the tiny Russian babies you can let die in the backseat of your car. After all, when you get a little orphan, what's more cool, say that it comes from Alabama, or that it comes from Vietnam? Say it was born with the name "Katie" or the name "Soledad"?

Money is not the solution, not for this problem, and I can't believe how people can't suspected of getting ripped off with a thing like this. Do you really, really think they are going to help those kids? Those animals? When they are making such expensive advertisings? Yeah, right. Like the money from the Teleton's all go to the children's hospital to buy that cardiac-something machine they are using as an excuse for already ten years IN A ROW???

If you want to help, GET INVOLVED! There are things where muscle and will can do more than money.

No comments: