Aug 5, 2012

A Friendship That Has Grown Strong

Our friends went back home today. I'm a bit sad, because I loved having them, and now we won't share a dinner together, nor are we planning something funny to do tomorrow, and Budapest has proven to be a loyal, friendly city that's willing to provide lots and lots of cool stuff to do with your friends. Here I thought I would be the worst and most shameful of tourist hosts ever known to mankind, but my beautiful birth city made sure they would still be amused and they would still find something to like. My boyfriend and I also enjoyed the city, the fun, the programs, but above all their being there. From a homemade dinner that ended up becoming dinner packed up for them to take home - because no self-respecting Hungarian would let friends or family make a journey without packing them with food for the road, or a little bit to take home so they don't have to start making dinner at home when they get there all tired -, to shots of pálinka shared, from baths to museums, from Ancient Roman ruins to Medieval Archery and all the way to Royal Palaces and beloved Empresses, we spent three wonderful days in company of each other.

From little tokens and gifts or appreciation - and a recipe we still have to translate and send to the new member of the Brotherhood of Gulyás - Austrian Specialty cookbooks in Spanish, I'd dare to say that we bonded and solidified a beautiful, cherished friendship that was born through letters, that got materialized in "Real Life" a couple of weeks ago in Braunau thanks to a thoughtful and friendly invitation, and which I hope it has been grounded now and deeply rooted with this wonderful visit, which will  - Hyne willing - be only the first of many more to come in the future - near and far.

I hope I didn't bore them as time and again we mentioned a nightmarish person we all know, and who has the most strange attitude towards others, but I often simply couldn't stop thinking about her, as I was swimming in the deep happiness of having our friends around (yes, not only MY penpal, but OUR friends, as I'd dare to say this isn't only about Trish and I anymore, but Kari and Phill as well, or am I wrong?), and  suddenly I thought about this person's categoric stand about meeting people she hasn't befriended in person since the begining. As we got to know each other better and become more and more part of each other's lives, I could understand less and less why would anyone deny themselves the utter pleasure of meeting new friends, making new friends simply because of a few bad experiences.

We said good-bye at the Eastern Train Station - where they where shooting some movie - and already making plans and promises about meeting again, visiting again and where would we go. More baths - that's for sure - and maybe a trip to one of Hungary's most famous wine making countrysides - and AWESOME futuristic museums in Austria - and then maybe some more of this, and some more of that... and we'll have to meet at least 50 times more! The guys sure will have to exchange their chef expertise - some perfect Wiener Schnitzel  recipes for the traditional Gulyás or the best pörkölt ever made. We certainly have to learn to say "cheers" in each other's language, and why not? Maybe even learn a bit of each other's language? I'll certainly lean heavier into learning German now - with the proper Austrian accent, of course ^_^.

I have the greatest friends in the whole wide world, and I can't be grateful enough for that.

I'm just sorry I didn't keep my promise about the bagels, nor I really introduced them to Igor Longeers. We should definitively do that next time!

No comments: