Aug 17, 2012

Thoughts with Coffee

The store at the corner of my job got robbed around 8 am by gunmen, who shot three shots and run over a pedestrian while they were escaping. They got caught, though, and will probably get processes swiftly, and maybe just as swiftly let go after a ridiculous prison sentence, so that in a couple of years - if not a couple of months - they can come back and continue their burgeoning criminal lifestyle. Will this make it to the news? Nah, not likely. This is one of the many crimes commited in the capital city, so why would it make the news unless something truly amazing happens - okay, they did catch the robbers quite quickly... so maybe they'll be in the news after all.

That store was the one I used to go to every workday for the past three or four years to score myself some snacks or breakfast stuff (coke, yoghurt, Red Bull, croissant or bread, sour cream, salted and sliced green mango...you know, the usual breakfast stuff), except on those days that I felt really, really lazy and rather ordered breakfast from one of my favorite express companies, most often than not, from Bagelmens', because I'm crazy about bagels.

Most main streets are collapsed, and my Twitter is full of messages from people who got caught in yet another traffic jam caused by the Governments ultimate ineptitude AND lack of any care about fixing the General Cañas highway, which has been giving problems for a while now, but particularly since the "platina" case, and now with a rather large crater, further "sinkings" which end up also in a crash - because people here just don't drive like in Europe - turning a Friday morning drive to the office into an impromptu parking lot case. Imagine, waking up early in the morning and rushing only to get trapped into the dark machinery of a collapsed highway. It's like the Hunger Games: you don't even kill the engine because you want to believe, you want to hope that you will be able to make it. (BTW, I saw that movie again on the plane - I also saw Iron Lady, which I didn't like much, 21 Jump Street, which wasn't so bad, but I'm glad I didn't pay for it, and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, and this time around I didn't like it much.)

I'm back in Costa Rica, to the amazement of many. A lot of my coworkers stare at me as if I just came back from the grave. "Holy Shit! She's alive!", and many ask why I came back, and all of them simply assume I must be devastated for being here. Weird, I'm not. It feels just like having taken the train to go to another city. A city with much more rain, much more criminality and wider lanes. Oh man, how I love to drive!! And how I love my car!

I'm acconditioning again both my place and my office, fixing meetings, appointments and dates with friends, banks and all sorts of bureaus. I'm loving the weather! I'm still deskless, which I hate, but as I slowly get back in track, things go falling in their old place. For how long? That's the question in many people's mind, but only a few know the answer, and that's the way it will remain.

No comments: