Sep 27, 2012

Letters on the Wait

So, what was the point with e-mails? It was to communicate quicker. Has it accomplished it? In a way yes, probably, but not for me. And not because my e-mails get lost in the cyberspace, but because a handwritten letter and an e-mail can just take me the same time to compose. Yes, the e-mail gets there as quickly as you press the "send" button - when you do, because I've made myself famous for pressing "save" instead of "send" and then wonder why my friends haven't replied to me yet, but that's me. It's okay, I'm confident in my own humanity and my own intelligence, so a lapsus brutus and it's aknowledgement doesn't diminish me.

But back on e-mails, I'm falling waaay behind with them. I don't know how you work around with your e-mails, but I normally leave on my - what's the name of this in English? - mailbox or incoming tray those e-mails I either want to read later or those I still haven't replied to. It's like with snailmail letter, those I haven't read or replied sit neatly on top of my desk and wait to be replied. In this sense there's nothing I love more than an empty mailbox, because that would mean that all my tasks have been completed.

My mailbox has now letters from people I love dearly, letters that have been composed more than a month ago and I still haven't been able to reply to them. Why? It's sometimes a mix of lack of time and lack of inspiration, or lack of proper mood among other things. Some of them I know personally, and with them I'd rather just meet, cuddle up in a sofa, and chat our heads off with nonsense. With those I don't know personally, I wish I would. With each of them there's an Ocean between us, no matter in which direction we head.

Now work also heaps up - yeah, we've got to "that time of the year", and we gara do what we gara do.

So, yes, you can see yourself on my gmail mailbox, so know that I'm thinking about you every day, even if none of my thoughts is getting typed down just yet.

No comments: