Aug 4, 2008

When You Can't Smoke

I love to smoke. I adore to smoke. Smoking is one of the greatest pleasure and leisure activities in the world. As some people learn to taste different wines and different teas and different coffees, I learned little by little the art of tasting the soft finesse of tobacco. I was personally hurt when countries and legislations started to shut the door on the face of smokers, placing the rights of non-smokers about those who do. If smoking tobacco isn't an ilegal activity, why should smokers be chased and their rights trashed? I fiercely advocated, and still do foir a change in the way to do things, defining locations for smokers and non-smokers so we can all live our lives without trampling each other. Forcing a part of the society to seek some seedy corner to inhale a little of hot, flavoured, spicy smoke... a product that isn't ilegal per se, but making the act of consuming ilegal due to location, is an act of discrimination. Oh dear, did I say "discrimination"? Yes, Discrimination. So yes, people can get sick and can get lung cancer and enfisemas and heart diseases for being near smoking people, BUT truth is that other stuff also gives you that. I don't have the data for sure, but if I'm not mistaken, more people suffers from asthma and lung related problems due to smog and other contaminante present on the environment. But of course, it is far easier to blame the smokers than blaming the drivers. However, trying to talk in favor not of smoking, but on behalf of smokers is currently a Sisyphusian job (as we say in Hungary) since people, in their "big illumination" don't want to hear anyone talking about such heretic notions as "smokers' rights".

Anyway, I'm one of those poor souls who have been banned from smoking thanks to a disease: asthma. If you ask me if I regret it, no, I don't. I enjoyed every cig I smoked, and I hope one day I can go back to it. You don't have to agree with me on this, but Hyne if smoking wasn't the best thing ever... So, now I can smoke, and I look longingly at those who can. The funny thing is the other stuff I do now that I can smoke: I have taken to collect lighters. This has taken me to think, what do people do when they have to give up something they loved? Make it a vice, a person, a job, an attitude, a place... when you had to give up something that has grown deep into your being... what do you do?

2 comments:

Sprizouse said...

I think if I had to give up something really meaningful and I couldn't deal with it... well then I'd probably take up smoking.

Storm Bunny said...

1. I think we should somehow find a way of living together, all of us people, without making "commitment" a word meaning "morally and socially induced self sacrifice of one of the parts in favor of another".

2. So I guess you wouldn't be giving up smoking... ^_^