May 4, 2012

Hot Spring

It couldn't wait another day, so today I hit the shoestore (Deichmann, if you must know) and bought a couple of shoes. Yes, a couple of shoes. I needed them, really. When I came from Costa Rica in April,. I brought only a couple of shoes with me - basically a pair of black pumps, my black wedge heel crocs (which I use for work constantly, not that I'm working now), my flat purple crocs shoes, and my black boots. There was no more space for any other shoes, though I still have lots and lots of them, bit these were all I could bring. I had another pair of black pumps and black boots here and my red home sleepers. These have proved okay until the warmth broke in, and my ankles and feet started to swell from the heat! My soles felt like burning every single day, and I dreaded going outside because none of my shoes could be used without socks! I do have a pair of pink flip-flops, but I also use them inside, and so we don't really want to bring the dirt from outside into the appartment. However something had to be done.

I must admit that I love seasonal shopping. Stores overflow with products and several good bargains can be found, since some stores try to steal away the customers of others, but also outrageous prices. I'm still not very versed in the shoeshop tricks of Hungary or Europe (as I am in Costa Rican shoe shops), but after some windowshopping and comparing prices (which I also did in Vienna now that we were there), I realized what everybody knows, that by walking just a little you can find pretty much the same shoes in a lower price. It's okay to check for bargains, because even the more expensive shoes can have flaws or defects, that could be reinforced in less expensive ones. For instance, the first thing I check on a shoe is the sole, because I have had problems with soles coming off, and I know how terrible that can be! And sadly, nobody really thinks about carrying a spare par of shoes just in case. The I check the inside of the shoe and the way the sole has been attached to the shoe. It's only after the shoe has passed these paramethers that I try them out.

During my checkings, I found in Deichmann these cherry printed sandals. I'm not big on sandals, but I really needed sandals specifically due to the heat, and somehow I couldn't get the cherry printed ones out of my head.The print resembles a lot the printing on the dress Marilyn Monroe used in one of the scenes of the movie Misfits. Perhaps it's because of that movie and because I like Marilyn Monroe very much, or because I love cherries, but the shoes stayed with me.

It got me thinking also about the way seasons influence even the way people select their clothes. It's not only the type of clothes, but even the printing and the colors. More and more people are out there not only in shorter clothes, but also lighter or wearing bright, Spring-like colors, and the girls in tiny, tight shorts with floral prints, or small mini skirts filled with whimsical little flowers all over are the statement of the fashion. It's like women take it to themselves to bloom along with Mother Nature.

Shoes in brilliant colors and floral prints also show around everywhere. A tiny black mini skirt with opaque black tighs and feet tipped in royal blue, lacquered pumps. Flowy black dress and nude colored pumps. Purple and yellow flats, or denim sandals printed richly with flowers, or linen raw colored wedge sandals with flower patterns formed with beads and rhinestones walk around tipping legs wrapped from the knee up in cargo pants or short jeans (not cutoff! Europeans don't really wear cut off jeans!). The heat is here and we are all whilting, but we all do it in style.

2 comments:

Sartassa said...

haha Deichmann, good for when you need loads of shoes for a minimal amount of money :D I always bought my summer shoes, sandals ect there, but as I grew older I suddenly started to shop either online (esprit) or in the shoe shop underneath our apartment (that's a trap!!!) love your new wedges!
Isn't it always like that? you enter a shop, find a pair that speaks to you, screams "buy me" but you keep trying others and in the end you go back and get the one you looked at frst :D
loved your post, can I link it in my blog tomorrow?

Storm Bunny said...

Yes, Deichmann is your saver when you need to stock up on shoes. Humanic I don't like so much because it's much like a Deichmann, but four times more expensive. Haven't tried Esprit, but now that you mention it, I'll check it out. There are some others in here I want to check out, some Hungarian stores I want to give a try, though in my experience only a few Hungarian shoes turn out to be good. Most of them last less than any shoe I've bought in Costa Rica.

And yes, oh yes! I call that process "the courting of the shoe". They appeal to you, but you try to act rational and look for others, give yourself a chance to find something better, but the shoe just doesn't leave your head, and it sticks there until you get them and wear them. And the delight of wearing those dreamed shoes!!! I'm usually like that with red shoes.

Please, if you liked the post, link it! ^_^ I'd be honored!