Nov 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

This one comes out late, right? It's 21:13 and I just arrived - maybe some 20 minutes ago or so, from Liberia, a city to the Northwest of the country, were we had a meeting with some partners. But this you already know because I've told you yesterday. So yes, news since yesterday are: the Money Laundring conference was less than what I expected - a.k.a. they pulled that plain sentence and stretched it for an hour. It was hideous - and today's meeting was also rather unexpected.

But today is thanksgiving, even though I missed all the NFL games. It's weird to think about making a thanksgiving post when I did a Mabon post, so I'll go simple (I'm rather tired too, so don't ask much from my brain) to avoid repeating myself.

We don't really celebrate thanksgiving here, and honestly all my thanksgiving knowledge comes from movies - specially The Addams Family's Values - so I'll avoid making a fool of myself trying to give meaning to this celebration. I'll leave a note to myself in my filofax :-) so I do better research for next year. How about that?

So, giving thanks. Do we as a world have something to be thankful for? We have crisis in Europe and Gaza is again spiking up in violence, spreaking around the already wounded-raw Middle East. Crime and drugs and terrorism rips across our nations and corruption is pandemic. Hell, corruption is the only thing we actually see following the "trickling down" theory, and that actually keeps the economy and the money from trickling down from the uber-wealthy to the common people.

Well, we have things to be thankful for. Thankful for the jobs we have, in those cases where we have a job or any honest source of income. Thankful for our friends, the ones we made this year and those we kept cultivating. Thankful for the voice we have, our courage and determination to raise it in protest. Thankful for the American elections - four more years of hope, in my humble opinion. Thanks for the sparks of wisdom, for the fun moments, the movies we love, the new books we find, the chances we get, the lessons we have the opportunity to learn. Thankful for the love in our lives, for the chance to further know ourselves and for the chance of sharing with those we love - near or far, it doesn't matter as the heart and the soul have no sense of geographical distance.

Thankful for inspiration, for the good ideas, for diversity, for those moments of progress when equality wins another battle over outdated, obtuse ideas.

Thankful because the world can be hard, but we still have the chance to make it a better place. Thankful because in the middle of everything, we still can see the beauty, we still can harvest the sweet little berries of happiness and cherish them close to our hearts.

Yes, this is not the time to stop, and this is not the time to close our eyes and pretend that everything is swell, it's time to fight, to raise our voices and make oourselves be heard. It's time to denounce and let the world know that enough is enough and the bigotry of a few doesn't represent the many, that the corruption of some won't be tolerated by the whole. And yet, there's much we still have, much we have achieved and for that, it's okay to be thankful.

No comments: