Nov 10, 2012

Pulling Work on Weekends

I must update my planner and add to it the titles of my posts, as I had been doing it until... July? Oh dear, I'm so behind! Hopefully once I have my beloved and much expected filofax, I'll make a Blog tab on it to keep the record of my posts, and also include all my little notes with post ideas. The reason I do this is because my memory is really short and I'm really affraid that I'd be repeating myself - which without question I have done countless times by now. Sure, I could check the listing on the bar of the blog, but I always enter into the dashboard, and the view from there isn't that clear. Oh, and since I'm so hooked on the filofax - even if I still don't have it in my hands - I'm creating a filofax tab in here as well. Eventually gara go back and mark all my filofax related posts, so if anyone interested in filofaxes want to read posts on the subject, they can. Yes, there are people who do that, and we are many. However that won't happen today.

Yes, today I'm meeting with my friends Kate and Carrie to go to the movies. We are going to watch Skyfall. Yes, this will be the fourth time for me, and yes, I realize that I'm lagging regarding my original purpose. I expected to be hitting the 10th-mark soon, and be at least on 6 or 7 now, but I'm only on 4, co maybe I'll go again tomorrow, or cram up three times next week. The chances for hitting 10 in the next week are very, very slim, as something unpleasant happened at work. Not deadly or pink-slippy, but unpleasant.

Around Tuesday a coworker and I were requested to check on a request document and send back our opinion about the calculus metodology. The e-mail with the instructions had to PDF documents attached, and the both of them together didn't make more than 35 pages. We were also told that "Legal agrees with it, so we are not going to rebuke this", so our job was simply to review the way the money calculations were done and say whether it was ok or not. Our deadline is this Wednesday. I was honestly surprised that such a small job got so many days, when the usual drill here is to give a couple of hours for a freaking huge job. So I checked the document and found out that many things were missing. I requested for them and the reply I've got was "work just with that, you don't need more". May I point out that I requested documents and files referenced in the document, so I wasn't looking for unexisting documents. With this I was told the afore mentioned "Legal endorses it, so you don't need to 'over complicate' things". So I read the document patiently, made my notes, worked on other stuff - because we had the time - and yesterday I compiled all my notes in a document and sent it to my coworker so they can add their own comments.

Yes, well, the enclosed documents weren't the document we were supposed to be checking, but a document for which a link was provided - a broken link. 30 minutes before leaving, on Friday, I've got the document. It has some 200 pages. Okay, lots of it are annexes, there are plenty of tables, its on double line format, and a part of it I've already read. Yeah, except that I'm a very thorough type of person, and since I have been finding things that don't make sense, I tend to copy all the tables into Excel to make sure that the numbers add up as they should, and these are really large table, with ten columns or more of numbers and some 100+ rows and nine figure figures, depending on the type of code used.

I'm still going out to watch 007 again with my friends, but one thing is for sure: I won't have much time for Skyfalling until after Wednesday.

No comments: