Nov 4, 2012

Tuning Skills and Going Homemade

Clothes are like fanfiction - at least for me: you have idea of what you want, so you go looking for that and you find everything in the world, but not the one thing you are looking for. Often, as it is my case, the things you find don't really please you. So, as with the fanfics, where after having searched for a story with particular characteristic and not finding it, one has to write the fanfic one wants to read; so with clothes, the logical outcome is that when you don't find what you want to wear, you must make it. Now, making clothes isn't an easy business, as you should get the pattern you want - maybe transform it to fit your desires - and then cut the fabric and sew it.

For someone not used to sewing much - my most prolific time was when I was a kid and I sew dresses for my Barbie dolls - even cutting the fabric can be a challenge. I had once made myself a pair of trousers and a skirt, but that was a very, very long time ago. So, wanting to sew, I decided to tune my rusty skills with a simple project, and so I did the little tote bag you can see in the picture. It was made following advise from blogs and watching youtube videos. And let me tell you something, making it isn't as easy as it's shown on the Internet. My bag, even if simple (and it's lined), and with changes I didn't seen in the blogs and videos I watched, didn't turn up as sharp as it was supposed to. It does work fine and the mistakes are small - from far and when full of stuff you can't really tell them - so I'm pleased. ^_^

A while back I sew a bag for my yoga mat, and that turned out quite sharp, but that's basically because I did the whole project by hand. My problem is sewing with a machine. Now, I won't sew my clothes all by hand, so yes, I need to get sharper with the machine. That means, that probably more tote bags are lining up in my close future. Wish me luck!

No comments: