Feb 21, 2009

Copyrights

Yesterday I went to the Blockbuster to rent a few movies to entice my latest "thing": the SPA-night. It's not like I'm filing my feet every night (though maybe I should thanks to what high heels do to my poor, suffering feet...), or pasting up my face with all kinds of face masks but I do take my sweet time to relax, lie on my bed in comfty clothes, eating comfort food and watching some nice movie, or taking a long shower, washing my face step by step, as you should and then applying body milk leisurely. Yes, in times like this I would like to have my boyfriend arround to help me with the "hard to reach spots". ^_^ Anyways, alone or with a bunch of friends, a spa night is a true delight, and yes, you can get addicted to it. Not like I will replace my working plastic bin for a new foot spa I have no place to store, but I believe I will start improving my foot-spa kit. I was thinking about these efervescent tablets, then there are some special foot creams and oils that relax and sooth your feel that really, really feel like heaven. However, while I get my kit done, I'm content with warm soapy water, candles, some aromatizing essencial oils and and extra moisturizing cream, soft socks afterwards, hot peppermint tea, or ginger, lemon and honey tea, and, Baby, I am in Heaven.

So I went to score some movies at the Blockbuster, and the few movies I wanted were not in.

"When are they being returned?"
"Never," said the guy "due to the CAFTA, we have to get rid of all our knocck offs, so when you rent you take them home forever."

Of course I went for my faves such as Eagel Eye and Skeleton Key, plus some movies I've never seen before, such as "A Good German" by Steven Soderbergh, "Cleaner" and "The Counterfeiters". I gara tell you, "A Good German" is not only a great movie, but it also has a few lines that make you think, and it ain't as pro-semitic as you might think from a WWII movie. I really loved it and I'm happy I've got it.

For today I had a series of to-do things, from which one I couldn't complete due to lack of time: going to Spinning. Oh well, I can go tomorrow. No, please don't think I'm going "healthy". Nothing further from truth. First I want to detox, because modern life does that to you, second, I need some working way to work off accumulated stress from my job and some daily life issues (like my thesis, and sometimes even the pressure on my shoulders to arrange things to spend more time with my boyfriend, which means trying to arrang my vacations, plus the pressure of trying to arrange things so I can go home to Hungary faster than I first expected it. You wouldn't think about it but this really can get you all knotted up). Lastly, because I'd like to get in better condition for some tricks... ^_^ Among the things I've got done, there was picking up a clone from a book (also cloned) our tutor lent us so we could use it to work on the theoretical framework for our thesis. The clone wasn't done, even though they said it was going to be done for today. So I stood there, wrote my journal and waited for my clone to be done.

While I was there, I heard that they too were touched by the CAFTA and the new laws on Copyright it has brought with it. Book cloning wasn't going to happen again, and many books wouldn't be xeroxed. That suddenly got my mental gears moving. Suddenly I was facing the enormity of this. Yes, indeed, we should protect the copyright rights, but in order to make richer the rich? Do the rich people need the nickles and dimes from the pockets of the poor people? There are no exemtions for textbooks. If you take a walk around the Universities of this country, you will find a tight hive of copy places. Prices on copies go cheaper and cheaper and the stacks of booklets, bound, thick anthologies pile up in every corner. Young kids, probably freshmen or so, work there for some money for their studies and other stuff. Copy machines run all day, teachers leave the class material there for the students to pick up. At the State Universities many of the students come from humble homes. Several of them have no money to pay the insulting prices charged for the books needed to study, so they must rely on cheaper ways, and no, the library ain't an option for them. Books at the library are usually not updated, or there are so few copies kept that they are not enough fof all the people that need them. Photocopies are the one way most of students get to have the material they need for their classes. What will happen with them? Evidently, they won't be able to get the material for classes at an affordable price, which will inevitably lead for them to be unable to attend to some classes, simply because the price of them will be taxing. Fewer kids will go to university, fewer will graduate and so the educational level of the population will decrease forcing the labor force back to jobs that can be done without higher scholarship, then putting a ceiling on development, on the future of the population and widening the social and economical gap.

On the other hand, people won't be able to follow several of the current business options, since things like having a copy store will become taxing, since you won't be able to copy many of the books out there to be copied, less people will come for copies, since a lot of the students that would normally survive on that won't be in the university because of the high costs of education, and so, the hive of copy store will be reduced. No students working there, no people making an honest earning out of it, no students... what kind of future is that?

Costa Rica is a poor country and these people are needed, these conditions are needed to make a life, to survive, to work and study and get somewhere in life. What kind of future will we face as a nation, when you cut the more humble layers of society from the chance to educate themselves, and you deny them a way to make a living. You deny them jobs.

I can't stop but smirk at the irony. They promised the people new jobs, more jobs and what they are effectively doing is taking their jobs and their education away. Well done. This is what you get when you let corruption run a country.

No comments: