Mar 9, 2009

Day Watch

After dreaming and wishing so much for it, yesterday I finally had the chance to see the sequel of a Russian movie that got to me (and not only due to the undeliable beauty of Alexei Chadov, who plays a secondary role in the movie): Nochnoy Dozor, or as it known in English: Night Watch. I believe somewhere in here there must be an entry about this movie, from the time Shimmy and I went to the VIP movie theatre (where else?) and watched it. Both of us were sucked into the beauty of the movie, and the whirlpool of the plot. I had heard since then of the infamous Dnyevnoy Dozor, a.k.a. Day Watch.

Well, I certainly wanted to see what happened to Anton, the main character and his son, Yegor.

First of all, if some asshole tells you that he doesn't remember if Kostya was in the movie (vampire character played by Alexei Chadov), said asshole hasn't seen the movie. Kostya, to my delight, was all over the place. To my dismay, at the same time, some ASSHOLE in the costume department thought it would be so funny to dress him up just like Emmet would, from Queer As Folk. Oh well, everybody knows that Russians are not famous for their ability to dress or put on make up tastefully. (Yes, that live bear on the guy's head is his hat, and he's wearing it inside... where that lady, dressed up like a whore, is wearing nothing but a strap of fabric thrown over her neck...

The movie is a nice sequel to Night Watch, yet you see no real shift in power, as the end of Night Watch suggests. There are a few interesting stories wowen into the general plot. The romance developing between Anton and Svetlana, which is pathetic, but if you have ever gone out with a Russian guy you will roll in the floor alughing because, yes, Russian men are THAT phlegmatic-looking, while in reality they are the opposite. Sveta's character does little to win over the viewer, and portrays an annoying type of woman, who always become a kind of "victim", gets sad, depressed and swallows her sorrow. Olga, on the other hand, the Owl witch, comes in getting your attention and winning your heart. She's strong, clever and over all, fun. She's the real partner to Anton, both as colleage and as friend.

The story swirls in plots, murder of "Dark Others", the incrimination of Anton as a "Truce Breaker", the story of the Chalk of Fate and then there's Yegor's desire to get back his father, Anthon, Anthon's wish to have his son in his life, and the stories of Kostya. On one hand, the strange love affair that develops between Alisia and Kostya, and on the other, and for me the more beautiful, de desire of Kostya to become human again, a wish for which his father hides his son's license to feed.

When you watch a movie with a message like that, you can't help but wonder. The people who go watch these movies, usually would like everything to become one of these creatures, and in these stories, these creatures would do anything to be human again, or plain be human. Is it that everybody wants what they can't get, or they plain want what they don't have?

Then the typical geeky question comes into my mind: if I were an Other, which side would I choose? Light or Dark? Well, this ain't even a question. Like a Malfoy sorted into Slytherin even before the Sorting Hat touches his head, I wouldn't be even asked, just shown the way towardss the Dark Side. Dude, I don't even like Coke-Light! Then, what kind of Dark One? Would I be a vampire? Well, I certainly do not feet the profile of a werewolf, you mind? I'd be probably some kind of witch, most likely an empath, though I'd love to be a telekinetic, just like Nagi. ^_^ If I were a shapeshifter, though being a wolf would be cool, I think I'd turn into a dragon, Medieval type, or the ones you saw in Reign of Fire, not the Chinese type. But if it has to be a "real creature", I'd be either a cat or a crow.

The next question in my head is what my friends would be? These are my answers, to those I can somewhat guess:

Shimmy: Dark One - Wizard - telepath-pyrokinetic - tiger
Víctor: Dark One - hunter - mirage raiser-time bending - cat
Vega: Dark One - guardian - telekinetic - mirage raiser - bat
Mora: Dark One - guardian - hipnotizer-pyrokinetic - bat
Alix: Dark One - witch - telepath-ghostwhisperer - fox
Carrie: Light One - healer - empath-telepath - sparrow
Roo: Dark One - seeker/hunter - dimension walker - mirage raiser - cat
Laura: Ligh One - guardian- time bending - snake
Milena: Light One - healer - telekinetic-teleportation - firefly
Dragonfly: Light One - caretaker - telekinesis-time bender - dragonfly
Gitta: Dark One - caretaker- angel-flying - dove
Jeka: Dark One - hunter/warrior - seer-teleportation - hound
Emő: Light One - hunter/warrior - pyrokinetic-mirage raiser - fox
Kari: Light One - guardian - seer-time bending - owl
Malachite: Dark One - hunter/warrior - seer-pyrokinetic - horse
Jules: Light One - guardian - telepath-teleportation - wolf
László: Light One - wizard - telekinetic-empath - horse
Márton: Light One - wizard - seer-telepath - goat (^_^)
Marc: Light One - hunter/warrior - flying-pyrokinetic - wolf
Skylar: Dark One - sorceress - time bending-telekinetic - asp
Vikike: Light One - guardian - empath-teleportation - hawk

But, by all means, if you have a different opinion, do let me know. ^_^ Then again, from what I see, my friends can easily make a war, or at least a battle. From what I know of them, what I see in them is a great force, they are unmatched in these qualities, so I'd say, if they ever got to fight each other it would end up in a slaughter, and all of them dead. ^_^ Good thing they are not doing so!

No comments: