Mar 6, 2009

I like Brian Caufield

The problem with the news is that you can't get a good perspective from one paper. What do you do? You sign in to more than one. The donwside? You wake up every day to a mailbox full of e-mails from newspapers and magazines. Well, maybe I'm still on the lucky side, since I receive e-mails from only five sources: Washington Post (my personal favorite), New York Times, Forbes, Le Figaro and CNN. CNN is nice, because it brings you the news in little chunks and sends only one e-mail. Le Figaro follows, with one e-mail per day, but for the love of Lafayette, can't they put some order in that paper? Two articles of Sarkozy and the rugby results in the middle. Have they heard about "sections"? Washington Post, and specially Forbes shower me with TONS of e-mails daily. I've tried, but I can't make Forbes understand that their "Lifestyle" magazine IS NOT OF MY LIKING!!! The life of the rich and famous do not hold any interest for me, nor I care to know which is the most expensive house, yacht, watch, car or any of those. Unlike a lot of people, which I tend to call "asshole losers who can't concentrate on their own life and reality", if I can't afford it, I don't waste my time with it.

Anyway, there's this segment of Forbes I love, because it's 100% Telecommunications. Gossips, tips, news, speculation... it's a trip!

Anyways, I was going to delete today's Forbes mail after reading the headlines (as usual), when one article suddenly teased my interest: Apple and Qualcomm are the only enterprises (so far) that haven't resourced to lay off. Well, that triggered my curiosity and I went reading. Well, the article was very cut to the chase, short and simple and lacked the gusto, the flavor one gets used to when reading the novelette-like articles of the Post. However, it was interesting.

I was going to book the article and the reporter as a dry, talentless piece of work that thanks Hyne did not took the life of a tree for printing, when I reached the last paragraph. That one made me smile with it's sour, mocking sarcasm. It suddenly made the entire thing have sense. Yeah, yeah, Apple and Qualcomm are doing good. Interesting that Qualcomm seems to be "hiding" something fishy, such as, perhaps "small scale lay offs disguised as getting rid of X or Y because they no longer hit the measure the company wants"? That's just hypothetical, of course... nothing proved on that, nor are any of us telling that's the case. Then again, if you read between the lines, you can read a few interesting stories.

So Apple is holding up. Yeah. Kepp the 'puters pricey, keep them like there was no crisis, like there were still a market, and who knows? Maybe the Mac-groupies will stick to the company and keep it up and working. Mr. Caufield ends his article with an interesting: "lets all hope Apple keeps to get going as they are, so we will all have a job during the crisis... selling fruit to the Apple employees". He even took the time to research the best corner to set up a stand for that.

^_^ I believe I'll continue seeking Mr. Caufield's articles from now on.

2 comments: