Mar 17, 2009

A Little Shamrock to All

Happy Saint Patrick's Day to all! ^_^ My Hyne, I've been expecting this day so much! Not like they do anything to day, but I just love it. ^_^ If I could I'd put a picture of shamrocks as background for the blog, but this blog is too smart for me. I do not wish to change the black either because it's so nice, not to mention the lovely way in which it pulls out other colors. I just have to love black, though then again, I totally love GREEN, and I'm sure you all know about it by now.

Back in the days when I had an lj (livejournal. Google it), I remember there was a community for people who loved red, but there was no community for people who loved green. Well, as a matter of fact, there was no community for any other color, but red. Anyway, how many people like green? Other than the Irish, you mind. Not many people. Once I heard that 75% of the population liked blue, but green fades pretty much into oblivion. Save by the Irish, who have embraced it. ^_^

You know what would be cool? Green coke and green chocolates. I'd like that. Maybe for next year I'll bake a few cookies with shamrock shapes and cover them with some green glaze. That would be awesome!

Anyway, today I dressed in green and put on some of the green jewelry pieces my friend Dragonfly made for me. My very own four leafed clover hangs from my neck, my newest bracelets from my right wrist, and matching green earrings. I changed my walpaper in Nyikolaj to a field of shamrocks, changes my MSN design to green, my picture to shamrocks and my handle as well: Shamrock Faerie. It's all in the spirit! Even my lunch is green! I made some rice with green peas to go with my fish. It can't get better than that, now can it?

I'm becoming so forgetful. I have this thing I'd like to tell you about and I keep forgetting it. Old age, I guess.

So, I don't know if you have ever kept one, but back in the day I used to keep a virtual briefcase with yahoo, where I saved a lot of important documents (important for me), and to which I could have access any time I needed them, provided that I had Internet connection. Well, yahoo sent us not long ago an e-mail, that our briefcases have to be evacuated, everything saved into computers and stuff, because after March 31st they are whipping the whole shebang clean. Sad, really, because a virtual storageroom is quite useful. You can place in it whatever thing you can consider, that may be crap for some people, but that you'll die if you ever lose it. Bills, those "e-mails" that can save your hide, an advance of a project you have been working on for ages and that really, really, would turn out to be very bad if you lose, your notes from a meeting, your notes from class, your tests, exams and such, the draft of a novel, versions of some fanfic you are working on, experimental images on which you are working, schedules, accounting listings and balancesheets, designs... you name it.

Now, with the thesis, well, I've become rather paranoid and scared of losing the entire thing. From time to time I make sure Omi has a copy, Nagi has a copy and so does Vassili. However, I just want to make sure, even more, that I am not exposing myself to the losing of our work, so I started checking for other options.

There's always the old-school solution of saving the documents in your e-mails, but I was looking for something additional. I was looking for another virtual briefcase. I can't say I've found it, but there's this Google Docs thing. Rather primitive, if you ask me, as it works only a few formats (.doc, .ppt, .xls, .csv .txt), but it does the job. I realized that this works like some kind of "sharepoint" (or cherpoin, as my ever so enlightened coworkers refer to it), but the only problem is that the one person I'd like to share the documents with has no gmail. Go figure. Well, after discovering this, I believe I'll have to talk to her and introduce her into the world of gmail and then talk her into using this space for us to work the thesis together. Sounds like a good plan, doesn't it?

No comments: