Jun 21, 2009

Crafty Gifts

I'm trying, and I'm quite happy with the results. This is a necklace with matching earrings I made for my friend Laura, for her birthday, which was on May 14th.


Yes, I know I gara work more with my timing, but at least I've got it, right? This is, at the same time, the first necklace I do using chain links. I imagined it to be far more complicated, but it turned out to be quite easy. Now I've gara get a new chain and green beads for my mom. ^_^ My mom likes my craft, maybe only because she's my mom, you know, and moms always support their kids.

It's amazin, but working on things like these, making necklaces, knitting and things like that, calm me a great deal. I don't think I'll be able to make a living out of either of them, basically because I suck at selling things like this (but I'm amazing at selling corporative products, which is amazing), but I love doing them and giving them away. At the same time, it makes me think of my friend Drangonfly, to whom I'm grateful, because she was the one giving me the inspiration to start doing my own jewelry, and then she took from her time to teach me.

Then, like she said, it feels so much better to give someone something you made, rather than getting something bought. Of course, when you buy somthing special, something that connects you to someone, it's the best gift ever, but when a gift has that extra kick, that extra thing, that it has not only your thoughts, but also your effort, your work, your time and it's unique, that makes it unvaluable.

Yes, I can think of gifts you can buy that mean the world more than anything, like getting someone you love that watch you know they've been dreaming about, or but them that one book you read once when you were younger, or get that one volume, that one book, that one DVD, as soon as it hits the stores (Supernatural 3rd Season, With Caution, Haru wo Daiteita, Kizuna... you know what I mean), a rare first edition, the best chocolates ever... there are things that you can buy and they are special, but you can also give great gifts without spending a fortune, because the point of a gift is not the money spent on it, but the thought behind it.

1 comment:

Storm Bunny said...

Awesome!! Well, there are a few things I'd still like to learn how to do, plus we gara meet, so I can give you the stuff you ordered.