Mar 29, 2012

Make a Home Out of a Flat

When my boyfriend when for me at Mezőkövesd, after I spent three days there at Mommy's place, he mentioned that staying alone at home wasn't so bad this time, as it felt different: it felt like home. This made me happy, but then made me think about what makes a home out of a given space - be it a room, a flat or a house.

Some of my friends have told me about the issues they have out of making a place feel "right", and in the case of others there's no need for words: you enter the space and it automatically feels wrong. But what's the trick? Is it the orderly arranging of the things? Is it the Zen disposition of furniture? Is it the harmonizing style of the furniture? Page through a home and decoration magazine, or a furniture catalogue (like IKEA's), or go online and check different pictures of rooms and homes. Copying a decoration from a magazine makes a home?

That's not the place to go. Yes, you can get inspiration for a style, but I believe that the secret for charming a space into a home is in the spirit, the heart you put in it. There's no better glue to hold up a room, a space, a home, that the amount of fresh, good, happy you you can put into it. It doesn't need to be expensive, it doesn't need to be new, unique or vanguardist, all it needs to be is You, all over the place. You can copy pages from a magazine, but that doesn't make it feel like a home. You can keep absolute and strick order and cleanliness and that it would make feel your home sterile. Mess and chaos isn't the answer either. The answer is to know yourself, and put yourself in your home. Go with the flow, dare to use and dare to throw away and don't be afraid of trying and trying again as the space slowly takes the shape that reflects you... all of you. ^_^ That's what makes a home.

Pictures of our home.

Our library is filling up slowly and steadily with books ^_^

I love my framed picture! Don't you?

Our desk. My boyfriend was using it at the moment

I just love our mirrored closet and this cozy corner of our livingroom

No comments: