Mar 15, 2012

Towards a Goal

Often it's easier to get yourself working, apply yourself to a task, if you have a tangible, real goal before yourself. Of course, sometimes we start doing something looking for a goal that's a bit too far, that might demand more work than what you can do. Such as often the cases of working out or dieting in hopes of losing a lot of weight, or going from a Botero full shape to a sickly, bulimic Vogue bone-sack, or pushing weights to go from a sinewy, toothpick shape to a rippling body builder in a couple of months. It's not realistic either to get goals such as "get married by next year" or "become rich in two years". It's not like you should give up on goals such as getting in shape (but please always keep in mind that you should seek to achieve your NATURAL, HEALTHY weight, not the artificial, unhealthy weight you see on the photoshopped pictures of the glossy magazines), or getting into a steady relationship, if you really believe in relationships, and it's not the way you imagine to solve your life and get an income. However, your goals should be such that you can really reach them.

As you know, after moving to Hungary, I've decided I want to move more, be more active, more healthy. Now, that's easier said than done, specially when Spring is shy in coming, and the days are swept around with cold winds. The snickers have been bought and there's enough exercise clothes to go out jogging, once the days grow a little more warm - unless I decide to go find myself a proper tracking suit that can carry me in the colder days - so only the proper temperature is what's missing. I've also been scouting for  a yoga center that's more atuned to my needs - a.k.a., one that leans more towards the spiritual side of yoga and not so much towards getting a hot, fashionable body shape - but the chance to go out and jog a little is much more at reach - not to mention much more affordable AND it's not tied to any schedule other than mine.

This was basically something I really wanted to do, but didn1t get around to make it happen. Then recently I found out that a telecommunications company is organizing a half marathon in different cities of the country  - Budapest evidently among them - called Vivicitá. It's a run through some of the prettiest parts of the city, and it aims to bring consciousness to the population about how beautiful is the city they live in. The run will be in April 1st. Evidently I won't take part in it, as I'm not in shape, but this gave me the impulse I need: I'll start running to train myself to be able to participate in next year's run (if there's one). The anouncement reminded me also of other similar activities that are usually organized, among them the marathons, semi-marathons and others such organized in October to raise funds for different Breast Cancer organizations.

I'm not working currently, so what's stopping me from putting on my snickers, put on tracking clothes - layered id it's still that cold, and jog to the Margit Island, maybe try, little by little to complete a lap around it. I'm wearing my fitbit, I's step, activity and calorie aware now, so even if I'm not making it now, I can smile at the fact that I complete the daily step and calorie goal. So what's stopping me? Only myself. ^_^ So, what am I waiting for?

I'll be telling you about how all this goes.

1 comment:

Storm Bunny said...

Ah, se imagina!! Voy a ver si ya el domingo me levanto tempranito y doy unas vueltitas antes de ir a la iglesia. Con el fitbit me queda más fácil porque lo puedo programar para que me grabe la actividad, y voy a saber cuántos pasos, dí, qué distancia recorrí y qué tan fuerte fue la actividad que realicé. Como lo puedo medir, tengo la fé que voy a poder ir viendo mi avance y Dios mediante eso me va a mantener motivada. ^_^ Primero vamos a ver si para las carreras de octubre ya me puedo inscribir a carrera o caminata! ^_^ Vos cómo vas? Tienes alguna carrera para la que te estas preparando?