Jul 21, 2012

A Walk Through Fairyland

Whomever came out with the INSANE idea that hard mattresses are good, was seriously delusional. Really, what's the job of a mattress? It is to make your sleeping comfortable, to keep your body from getting bruised due to the hard surfaces that the furniture or the floor can provide. When putting a cushion on a chair, you wouldn't put a rock, right? Right? Then why is the mattress of the bed so FREAKING hard! My boyfriend loves it -  I can't wrap my head around why, but he does - but I don't.

Our hotel in Braunau is beautiful, lovely really, the view is nice, it's a minute away from Trish's place, the breakfast is yummy, the furniture is gorgeous, the bathroom is amazing... but the minibar is empty - and I'm a minibar junky - the safety box doesn't work, AND the mattress is hard. I do want to take some of the pictures home, though. And if I recall correctly, the pictures you see in hotels are for sale, if you ask for them. (Many local artists use this way to promote their work. They are not professional, not really that good, but if you like a piece, you can buy it, and I'm quite fond of this naïve style.) I'd still whole heartedly recommend this place to others, and the next time I'll come here (because there will be a next time - mark my words), I'll stay here (though probably I'll as the manager in advance if he can get me an extremely soft mattress).

Today we spent all day with Trish and her boyfriend. Well, her boyfriend joined us for lunch, but still, they basically spent the whole day with us. We did a small tour though Braunau, where Trish and I went either paparazzi on each other or bored our boyfriend by stopping to take 100 pictures of a flower. I guess I must still be a Latin American at heart, because all these beautiful, fairly tale like scenes amaze me endlessly. It's not so much that I take pictures of it because they are so beautiful (which they are!) but because I nearly want evidence that these things exist in real life, not only in Hollywood stories.

Trish was tremendously patient and lovely showing us around, and taking pictures with us as well, just as if she were a tourist too! We visited stores too - because there's no real visiting and sightseeing for me if there isn't a detour to a store where something beautiful can be acquired - and walked down cobblestone streets, visited a medieval bathhouse, and saw huge blue glasses hang from a porch marking the craft of the shop owner. Yep, my first though was "oh, this man does sunglasses for vampires!". Yes, that might seem really stupid, but if anyone objects, I can always pull the "Latin American Tourist" card and say "sí, dis is beri cool, be don hab blue anteojos in maaj contri".

The trip, however, wasn't only about Braunau, as Trish and Phil (her boyfriend) took us to other towns nearby, a place were you could look ever to the South of Germany (Bavaria), and then there too, to a town called Burghausen, which was sooo cool! Okay, Burghausen was awesome, but Braunau can easily give it a run for its money. Then, however - it might be only me! - Austrian food, particularly cakes, are unbeatable. I wonder how come there isn't fat people in there.

Sweet dumplings filled with strawberry, apricot and plum jam,
seated on strawberry sauce with chocolate and nut cream.

Back at Austria we had dinner at this very cute place, with very friendly staff and guests, where we had a HUGE plate packed up with bread dumplings, potatoes and pork (it was pork, right?) made in such an amazing way you would want to dive into the dish, swim in there and live there eternally. Of course all that was topped with Schnaps - they had pinecorn Schnaps and we had apricot Schnaps.

People, say what you like, but Austrians really know how to live.

Would love to post more, write more, say more, BUT someone who I won't name, had taken over the internet for over 90 minutes when they said they would use it only a couple of minutes, and thus I had to wait until late to get access to the cable that feeds the cyber universe into my netbook. It's late now, and we have to wake up early tomorrow, because we are going to Salzburg before returning again to Budapest.

So, see ya tomorrow... when I'll be able to blog wirelessly from the train or something like that. :-P Peace out and Blessed Be!

No comments: