Jul 17, 2012

Inconvenient Reality?

I'm reading indexed articles from an economics journal. In this issue the general topic is "international trade", and I'm having a really hard time reading them. The problem isn't that I don't understand the terms but rather the problem is that my mind keeps jumping up at every sentence with a protest. The articles and the arguments are unroled and developped imagining utopic conditions, and ignoring big facts of real life. Honestly, I've got disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I love my career, and I love being an economist and I love economics, but as I read the articles, I couldn't wrap my head around the fact how other economists, big shots and academics go so happily making models and drawing up theories about how the economy behaves and then go advising countries in crisis about what should they do to get themselves on track again.

Of course, they imagine these perfect little societies where everybody is honest, and where there's no greed as we know it, only a positive impulse to make more money - but that's a good thing because thaks to that everybody gets to be happy and have the best of everything. There's no corruption, no counterfeit products, no lobbying, no maffia, no terrorism, no poverty and no misleading media.

I'm deeply disappointed by this. Why aren't they dealing with this matter? Why is nobody seemingly considering this? Of course, I can only hope that the fault is mine, and it's just a matter of me not finding the theories and the articles that deal with the subject. Maybe that's all, but as I was deep blue in my disappointment, I've got thinking about the things we leave out when we make plans, or when we suppose things. We fall in love and we ignore the possibility that our loved one could have a dark side, or that it could do something against us. We dream with a job, a perfect job, and remain blind at the fact that there could be negative factors, such as a bad boss, bad coworkers or even a rotten agenda. We imagine a perfect religion and forget about the extremists that make the whole connection with God all about externalities and stupid rules.

How much do we block reality from our plans? And how much do we block reality from our lives? We refuse to see that we are in a bad financial situation, and keep spending our money and planning remodelations, trips and parties as if we had all the money in the world. We refuse to see that our relationship isn't going anywhere but it's rather affecting our job and our environment. We refuse to see that we are mistreating our friends, behaving as if they were our servants, rather than our mates. Yes, maybe not you, maybe not me, but those who do so - and I know you can name a couple - won't admit to it.

There are realities, but they might be hard, demand more attention or a bigger effort from us, and so many choose to ignore them, pretend these elements are not there, even if they plague the entire scope.

No comments: