Jul 3, 2012

VIP? Really?

After having finished reading Headhunters by Jo Nesbo, I convinced my boyfriend to go to watch the movie too. It has been freaking hot, so the sole idea of leaving the house was a hard task, but I told him that I'll invite him to watch the movie on the only VIP theatre I've heard of in Budapest.

I woke up early but didn't go jogging since it was 31°C (88°C) at 6:30 am. Like the hell, I'm jogging in that heat! But the day wasn't spent doing nothing. We finally decided to give in and bought the plane tickets to our trip to Helsinki online. I was adamant at first, as I like to have some tangible back up - namely a head office I can go to to complain if something is less than perfect, and nor Finnair, nor SAS have such in Budapest - but in the end, it was buying online or kissing Helsinki good-bye. Then, since the plane ticket was arranged, we also arranged the hotel question and the car rental question too. So this is done.

The next thing to plan is our trip to Braunau, but we will have time for that. :-)

The movie wasn't decided until a bit later on - though I told my boyfriend about my offer right after we finished the details with our Helsinki trip. We had gone to the VIP movies in Costa Rica, which are a wonderful experience he loved too. Comfortable lay-Z-boy couches, your own table, private candyshop area where you can get your regular movie stuff (popcorn, nachos, soft drinks, candy), but where you have a wider selection of stores with pizza, panini, sandwiches, crepes, sushi and a wide selection of alcoholic beverages. In Costa Rica you can order whatever you like either from each store, or place your order with a waiter, who will do the rounds for you, and charge you with one bill. These orders can be placed either at the lounge area, or inside the movie. And also, you can order at the lounge and have them bring your order to you into the movie.

It's an expensive little trip, but for those of us who appreciate the comforts and little extra luxuries of life, it worths it. Really, watching a movie in a cushioned couch where you could go sleeping, having a beer and eating crepes or sushi instead of nachos and watered coke... who wouldn't love that?

At first my boyfriend thought that there was no VIP in Hungary, but when I discovered that there's one in Arena Plaza, I decided I have to figure out what's like in here. Well, it was a huge disappointment. One should guess so when the VIP ticket allows you to stuff your face for free at the VIP candyshop 30 minutes before the movie starts. All seats stuck together - not separated every two seats by a small table, ceiling so low you can see it thought the whole movie because the light reflets on it, rows too close to each other, no waiter service within, and only the selection of regular movies: popcorn, nachos, softdrinks... okay, and beer.

Maybe I've gotten soft, but this isn't VIP.

The movie was fabulous, but the movie theatre was like the weater: horrendous.

No comments: