Jul 10, 2012

Trains, Trips and Penpals

Things are falling slowly into place regarding our trip to Braunau. It seems like my boyfriend will be coming with me, which is good, because as you all know, I don't speak German, and since we have to go first to Salzburg and there buy our ticket to Braunau, we'll definitively need someone who speaks German, and that's my boyfriend. His services will also be needed at the hotel booking, though my friend Trish offered to help us there. Still I don't want to bother her so much, and I rather nag my boyfriend for it. ^_^

Salzburg seems to be beautiful, but most likely this won't be the time to find it out. I don't mind it, since I've a bigger and better date to look forward to: I'll meet one of my penpals!

When two people meet through the net or through letters - or like in the case of Trish and I, through the internet, and then through letters ^_^ - the idea of meeting in "the real life" bears a sort of magic. In most of the cases, your penpal turns out to be different in the flesh, than as you see it through the paper. That's the most normal thing, since you express yourself differently when you speak than when you write. There are laughers, gestures, the tone of the voice, and sometimes when speaking in a language that's not your native tongue, you get a bit insecure. When writing it's okay, you can strike out or erase, write again, but speaking sometimes you wonder "is this how you should say it?". Pen in hand or behind the keyboard you doubt yourself less than when you are speaking, right?

Some people don't like to meet their penpals. They fear exactly this difference, and receive it with deception. They don't want to lose the illusion of the paper friend. As I see it, if you like the person on paper, there's hardly a chance that you won't like the person in the real life - unless you have a penpal who takes on a fake personality when they write. When you meet your penpals, you actually get to have two friends in one: your penpal, whom you like -  otherwise why would you write to them, right? - and your flesh and bone friend. Somewhat different, but lovable nonetheless.

I'm still not sure what Trish and I will do, if we would just take a coffee/tea, or if we'll go visiting... again, I don't like to impose. Be it as it may, I'm sure that after this meeting, we'll have plenty to tell each other in our letters, and our friendship and penpalling will get on a new and more fascinating levels. I can't wait to meet her!!!! ^_^

3 comments:

Sartassa said...

I wrote reservation request to the hotel today in the morning, but haven’t heard of them yet. I hope that it’s enough to tell them your name, and that no further information is needed. However, I’ll let you know, as soon as things are fixed. Regarding the train station in Salzburg – don’t be scared, I am sure that the guys at the ticket stand know a little English. Oh, by the way, the whole station is a huge construction site at the moment, so don’t be disappointed in case the city doesn’t match your expectations. You won’t see much of it.
To be honest I am starting to get a little bit nervous. Apart from my friend Gintare from Lithuania, who now lives in England, I haven’t met any of my pen pals so far and I am always scared of all the things you’ve mentioned. Maybe that’s why I haven’t made it to visit others yet. Still, if I met one of my long term friends from abroad and realized that we don’t really get along, what do I do? (No, don’t worry, I have no doubts that we won’t have problems like these) It’s a tough decision but an easy one to make, usually. At least in the mind, not in the heart.
Now that your visit is coming closer day by day I get insecure. Me, the one who’s always telling her friends to meet, asking them to come to visit Austria (cause you don’t invite yourself, do you?) and now I freak out? Well, it’s a relatively new situation, but I’m sure we’ll manage. Cannot wait!

Storm Bunny said...

Thank you! We've been getting calls from a +49 number, but the person calling speaks only German. Could it be them?

Sartassa said...

I doubt it. Austrian numbers Start with + 43