Jul 27, 2012

Discovering and Rediscovering

Though we agree that we can make the difference, that our stand does matter, more often than not we forget to act upon this believe. At the same time, where though we do have a stand, it's hard to balance our stand with the choices the world seem to offer. One of those for me is the activism against animal cruelty.

Testing on animals by performing things on them that you wouldn't do to your own kid or your own pet, isn't something I support, neither I support any sort of cruelty towards animals, and that includes the torturing of even the insects and rodents I don't like. Just because we are bigger and meaner, it doesn't give us the right to abuse of those we can subject to our will. However I'm not one to go vegan because I wouldn't have animals killed for my to eat, nor would I give up fur or leather for the same reason. I'd definitivelly avoid products that have been gotten through proved cruelty, but I won't pick a synthetic product over an organic one just because it's from animal origin. From the ecological point of view, I prefer organic products over synthetic ones, but I don't see the point in rejecting all animal origin products in order to avoid killing animals, because who said that the life of animals is more valuable than the life of plants? Just because they don't scream and make puppy eyes? I am a meat eater, but that doesn't make me less aware of animal cruelty, nor is this a contradiction. (I do tend to say that I like the meat of animals that scream when they are killed, but that doesn't mean that I like to eat tortured animals. It's just a way to describe the type of meats I like, but it has nothing to do with how much suffering I want into my tender loin or my baby ribs.)

However as not many see it this way, it was hard for me to approach international organizations or accept them fully because of the often hard line some take.

Recently, however, I've got more aware about cruelty-free products, particularly cosmetics, and since I sadly discovered that many of my beloved brands don't check out as cruelty free (L'Oreal, L'Occitane), I decided to go on cheking for brands that are cruelty free. It's not so easy, and though there are many companies listed at PETA's database, many of those are not available where I live. Then, as I was checking them, I started wondering about how hypoallergenic could they be. If they are not tested on animals, can they be "clinically tested"? How do they make sure it won't kick up my allergies?

Well, there are actually other ways to test products without harming animals in the name of cosmetics. Some of those include testing on volunteers, testing on patients (I'm not comfortable with that. Just because someone is sick or even terminal, it doesn't give others the right to use them as test subjects. Unless they agree, in which case they should be called volunteers. However, at the same time, hunger shouldn't be used to get test subjects and submit them to barbaric treatments. All tests should be human and well informed.), as well as test on human cells. PETA says that these tests are quicker and cheaper than animal testing, which for me doesn't make sense why would nearly all big companies choose then to continue testing on animals.

Though Oriflame hasn't been listed in this year's clear-out list, it hasn't been black listed, and this company is famous for its long commitment to cruelty free testing. Brands like Avon, Revlon, Esteé Lauder, Johnson&Johnson, Unilever, Gucci, Channel and Procter&Gamble are, however, black listed.

So, once again, I rediscoverd Oriflame. :-) But I think I'll have to say good-bye to L'Occitane... until they choose cruelty free testing. :-(

Another discovery of mine today was in an entirely different area. I RE-discovered bikinies! ^_^ I haven't worn a bikini in AGES, and I do mean, like maybe ten years or more. I stopped feeling comfortable in them, specially because of the environment that surrounds you in Costa Rica. Not like women there don't wear bikinies, but I still felt vulnerable in them, so for years I've stuck with my trusty black one piece swimsuit. I love my black swimsuit - don't get me wrong - but since I've gotten a bit more generous in the middle, and my thighs are also quite generous, I decided to go as generic and non-descriptive as possible, taking the safest looking swimsuit I could find. However, as I've been living here and breathing the safety, acceptance, tolerance and freedom present in Europe, I have ventured once again in the world of bikinies.

I decided that there's no point trying to hide my thights - why would I? and anyways, one piece swimsuits don't hide them anyways - so why would I hide my tummy? Or what? Only flat bellies are acceptable? So I walked into a Calzedonia, where I looked at the different tops and bottoms (they are sold separatelly, which makes it awesome for mixing, or getting different sizes that fit you better), starting with the discount section. I found a lot of fun pieces, including skull bikinies :-D. I grabbed up a bunch for trying out - more bottoms than tops - when I saw a new collection piece that basically imitated the American flag. I grabbed it, and in the end I ended up with only that one. I paid full price and I loved it. ^_^ It's reversible, so technically you've get four different ways to wear it.

I might try it out at the baths, when Trish and Phil come to visit, or maybe some other time, but definitivelly in Hungary (or Helsinki?). I'll see how I feel already wearing it, and if I like it, I might take it with me to Costa Rica. Who knows? Maybe my second Bikini-Era starts now, and I'll be able to enjoy all the possibilities bikinies give you with their choice to mix and match between tops and bottoms, giving you a wider arrange of options than what our trusty one-piece suits give us.

No comments: