Jul 1, 2012

A Moment to Look Inside

10 pm. It's finally dark outside, but that doesn't make the temperature drop. It's freaking hot. It's White Day, but that seems to mean nothing. Is it me, or white clothes for the heat and the summer are the biggest lie ever? If the black is supposed to suck in the heat (with it doesn't), the white certainly reflects it and makes it ten time worse. It's like wearing a nuclear reactor! It generates more light and more heat! Muted colors! Cotton clothes! Long, flowy dresses!

My folks came to visit, and I was pleased to note how much they liked our place. Our white, crisp, well illuminated place. This is my home - even though I'm flying back to Costa Rica - and they took it as such with natural fluency. The cat, the plants and the soft scent of oil remains in the burner, from last night's yoga time.

And now, at night, with the scent of the oil, the soft music of the bugs outside the window, I'm thinking again about yoga. Like my teacher in Costa Rica says, "once the body gets used to yoga, it starts demanding it". I might have fallen back, the chaturanga is again imperfect - more than before - and other difficulties seem to come up, I feel it in my bones, as the night walks in, that I want my Full Lotus Kirtan yoga music, that I want to turn the lights off, light some candles, burn some oil and fuse into the beauty of yoga, meditate, find the peace inside me and do those asanas, try to rebuild from memory a sequence, the moves, and flow.

These moments, following the ritual stated by my teacher, start with meditation, a little introspection of what I want to achieve, and feeling the energy in me. Unlike in dry videos or books, through this moment of meditation you can find that thing you wish to work with, you wish to learn, you wish to improve, and as you flow through the asanas, the directions, the answers and the realization come to you, so as you wake from the shavasana, and sit, the final Namaste comes in gratitude for the lesson learned from the patient teaching of your Inner Teacher.

Maybe it's precisely that what makes your body, soul and mind reach out for yoga, when you have sharted with it.

Namaste.

No comments: