Jul 15, 2012

Last Month Begins

Mom and Dad went back home today. Dad, still giddy like a kid about roaming, didn't waste the chance to call my aunt from Amsterdam with my brother's Hungarian SMS. The simple modern comodities and pleasures. For most Costa Ricans, the idea of using the roaming service is a bit hard to imagine, as so far the service has been quite out of reach, with high prices hard to calculate and a steep deposit that could go up in smoke in a five minute call. For an European, roaming is a pricy but affordable thing you use more often than you'd think about. Then again, moving across borders for Europeans is far easier, not to mention that the Regulation on that matter constantly demands operators to lower more and more the roaming fees, and with local fees quite high already, the difference between roaming and local calls isn't all that big.

Our life gets slowly back on the old track, and probably I'd be able to get back on track with the second List of 13. There are other things to get in motion, planning what I'm taking back, and reading as many books as I can so less books must be moved this time on other time.

I finished reading "Holy Fools" by Joanne Harris - the writer was recommended to me by my friend Trish - and I must admit, I liked it. Now, shall I risk and read another book? I'm wondering about it, so I'll probably get a sample of another of the books for my Kindle. Why am I so adamant? Because Ms Harris' style is so transparent, so light, so breezy I don't know if what I love is the topic or the style. I'm not very prone to like stories about circuses or gypsies, actors or clowns, butI like stories that involve magic, witches and monastries. Was it the magic of the writer or the spell of the type of plot? I'm still wondering. But be it as it may, I think I'll go with Lollipop Shoes to make up my mind. :-)

What's next? I'm thinking about a book that tries to reconstruct the journals of Empress Sissi, but then I recently bought a book about the Dunkan Diet (got curious), and a book of spells. It's the same book I have seen in Costa Rica, at the Librería Internacional. This time around - it seems - the book got a better hold on me, and since I had a bonus for a bookstore purchase (one that I can't use online), I thought "why not?". The book of the Dunkan Diet couldn't be ordered online (by some mysterious reason), and since the price on it wasn't enought to use the bonus, I grabbed the spell book and bought it. It made me feel giddy. It was like indulging in a guilty pleasure not everybody understands. Have you ever got, lent or read a book you don't have any particular reason to read, a book that might seem weird, unreasonable, or "WTF" in any sense, and you still get it just because you want to know about it? Well, this book is that for me. :-)

There's a huge pile of books I've here and which I'd like to read before I go back, so I don't have to carry them over. This means that I'll have to go over my plans for teh next List of 13 and make sure I don't include any "every week" activity, so I get more time to read. Remember that post about making time to your hobbies? Well, I'm taking that bull by the horns! Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Sartassa said...

I’m really glad you liked the book. I haven’t read that one yet, as I am planning to read a book my mom gave me (Fahrenheit 451) next, but I guess I’ll try to get the English original of Holy Fools. I think that the pictures she draws whilst writing are more vibrant in her native language than in boring old German. Hmm on the other hand I like the covers of German books more than Americans.
Tell me what you think about Lollipop Shoes then!
My brother and I are right in the middle of a “Classic Science Fiction” challenge, reading books like 1984, Fahrenheit 451, War of the Worlds and so on. I am curious what he comes up with next… I actually wanted him to read all the classics including The Great Gatsby but he somehow got caught in Future novels that were written ages ago and I’ve to admit they’re surprisingly entertaining but all the same shocking and scary.