Jul 12, 2012

Little Lessons under the Sky

Not ten minutes ago I realized that I'm far closer o the end of "Holy Fools" by Joanne Harris, than I thought. I'm reading Harris after a good friend of mine wrote to me about her. I epxected to have the book finished in a week or less, but it seems that this one took me longer. The book isn't hard to read, but in the first part and half of the second part I found it hard to relate to the characters. Now I'm getting more into the favor of the story, and the pages fly before my eyes.

Today I went with my folks to visit an old college friend of my dad. He's a very sweet, lovely man, who loves me to bits and pieces, as well as his wife. Their tenderness is truly breathtaking. I spent most of my time reading, though, as my folks, his wife and he spent time catching up and remembering the old days. Not like I was bored, but in a way the garden, the Danube flowing gently next to the end of the yard, the clear sky got me wanting to doze and read and meditate... and do absolutely nothing but rest and be happy. They are still very, very good hosts - better than what I am as a guest - so they entertained be nonetheless with long and delicious chats. Many of their words still resonate inside me and have me thinking. There have been many lessons to be learn, lessons that still roll around my mind, perhaps waiting for maturing maybe for a future post.

Sometimes you feel it, right? When there's a jewel shared with you, a lesson that your spirit wants to encapsule and study. This darling man and his wife have offered me a lapful of valuable lessons, eye opening stories about facts of life I may not have been so aware in my life.

It is late for me, I'm tired and wish to sleep now, roll up in our bed with my book and read a little, with my head deliciously rubbing against the soft, luxuriant green pillows. Some lessons can't be shared just like that, but the most important thing I learned, can: "it doesn't matter how well you live your life, how careful you are and thoughtful about others, you can't count on others to return the favor, or continue your example. Not your peers, not your friends, not even your family. Sometimes you wish the best and do your best and do the extra mile for others, and they repay you with undeserved expectations, with demands for more, or belittling the fruit of your life work. Be prepared, be careful, and as you try to make the best for others, because that's your nature, make sure to also knit your own safety net."

Sometimes the sweetest people in the world get the hardest lessons, and it is up to us to learn from the example they set. I'm publishing this because sadly I know many people, and some readers of this blog whom I know, fall into this very case: they do so much for others, and help so much, they end up bruised, worn, and even though they gave all they have, they are treated badly. Chin up, it's time to knit your safety net!

No comments: