Jun 3, 2010

Am I Mean or Are Others Unsensitive?

There's this lady from Ireland I met through the Interpals, who was quite nice through the Internet, but whose first letter was most disappointing. For a time I was torn between writing to her, telling her that her penpalling style wasn't my thing (this is the "fill a form with your data for my penpal database", "fill this form to subscribe to my newspaper for €X a month", and finally "send me back the stamps"), but then, from the pushy-gushy thing going on I figured that no matter what I said, it wasn't going to be received properly, nor put an end to it. So after some thinking I filed her in the "doesn't worth a reply" box.

Sometime ago she wrote asking what happened with me and whether I still wanted to be her friend. Needless to say that I didn't reply. What for? And what to say? "Nah, your letter was so annoying and faraway from any decent, traditional, non-profit penpalling concept known to men, that I decided you and the whole deal with you wasn't worth of my time." So, yeah I ignored her... again.

Today (I mean, I think it was today) she sent yet another message asking me if I've gotten her messages and wondering whether I want to be her penpal. O_O Geeez dude! What do you think? Naturally, proving to be this insistent, this out of touch with basic reality, taking the hint, any kind of reply is out of consideration. So... will I have to get ignoring her flood of messages not getting the point or shall I block her out? Answer and block?

Damned, I hate getting a stalker.

2 comments:

ohjoana said...

I had a similar experience, but I wrote for a while with my pal. We had an agreement, and time after time she started broking it. It was supposed to us to write at least once a month and I had to wait like three or four months to her letters, which weren't very interesting, all about her boyfriend and not that long. Plus she told me I was her only pal. I tries to let her know more than once that I wasn't liking what she was doing but she told me that was her way, she couldn't change. So why we made an agreement if she couldn't do it? I even wrote her after she told me that but again she took months to reply and sent me an uninteresting letter. I stopped writing to her. What she wanted. I tried, looked like I had to adapt to her way while she would be doing what she wanted without concern if I was happy or not about that. As you I put her in the "box" of don't worth to asnwer anymore.

I use to be polite when I really need to stop if the person always was honest with me and was actually a good pal. But I really dislike when I try to say time after time how I am unhappy and I don't get any way of a change from the other side.

She sent me once message, then other, then other... come on! Finally I decided to answer to try to finish it or she would keep messaging me, and she even sounded rude...

Storm Bunny said...

A Dragonfly: Lo que no me termina de llegar es cómo no le cae el veinte a la doñita. Es que de verdad hay gente que es durita del piso de arriba. Y es que si le respondo es sólo para decirle "no me interesa tu amistad", a lo que van a venir las preguntas de "y por qué no? Qué hice?". Entonces, mejor no darle alas y cortar desde el principio.

Gente así es un desperdicio de tiempo, tinta, papel... y hasta de saliva pa' pegar las estampillas.

To Joana: I don't have requests, rules or demands with my penpals regarding lenght of letters, regularity of replies and so on. I basically accept their tempo and their lenght, but I do am picky about their "content". I exchange letters only with interesting people, who can express themselves, have something to say, have thoughts of their own, and can tell me something, can follow a conversation in a natural, flowing way. I want my penpals to be real people and to treat me like real people, not like a number to boost their twisted ego.