Jun 29, 2010

Arguments and Counter Arguments

Yes, me again, but don't get any ideas! It just that it's not so fair to post in Spanish when the 86% of my readers... well, I believe they don't read in Spanish.Well, not like I'm actually sure who reads me out there, and not like I would really want to know. You, anonymous mass of occult readers stay in your anonymacy! (I think people actually scare me... but that's just a theory sprung out of the moment.)

A fact that can't be denied, though, is that I've been positing a hell lot about my job - well, this crappy new Smart Building we were relocated to - to the point where I'm wondering if I'm turning this blog into a branch of "OfficeSucks", which, yeah, does seems like. Hn, there's this community in the LiveJournal called "coworkerssucks" which I LOVED, as in LOOOOOOVED, since it had the most amazing stories about crappy bosses and abhorrent coworkers you could ever imagine. Great place to go feel good - either by realizing others have worse problems than yours or because you can top them all and post an even more bizarre story. (Tried to locate the site to link you all up, but it's missing. You can still find quite fun blogs of people bitching about their jobs and everything that comes with it.)

Anyway, point this that this blog is about... well... hmmm... So, it doesn't really matter, but the point is that it is not, nor I want to make it a "Bitch About Them" type... though I do that more often than not.

It's like the other day, when I was thinking about my Twitter account and how I would like to make it mean something, only to realize that there's no way I can do that, since no worthy thought can be expressed in 140 characters. No worthy Western thought, that's it, since we don't think (or at least I don't) in riddles and "fit for fortune cookie" sentences. (I kinda forgot where I was supposed to go to with this... Damned Dr. Pepper! His delicious taste distracted me.) So, Twitter remains for me this "comment on the world" thing, where nothing actually "juicy" goes. I've noticed (and therefore unfollowed) some people who use their Twitters to post fortune cookie sentences, or slip little bits of whatever Discovery Channel program they are watching. A question arises in me: "Shall the Twitter be rather original and post stupid stuff like 'I'm having fish for lunch' or shall it be 'smart' and copy great sentences from anyone else?" I love originality, but everybody can do as they want, really, then you reserve for yourself the right to unfollow anyone annoying or stupid enough to stay under the "worthy" cut. I know I do.

Thing is that people tend to be the same way about their blogs, have you noticed that?

So, I was thinking about posting about something else, anything else - since this isn't a fix topic blog -  and though when away from the computer a lot of really good ideas come to my mind, once I'm here I can't think about a single good idea. Do you have the same problem? I certainly don't wish to "impart wisdom" today, I had enough suggesting my coworkers to wreck havoc at the parking lot, and telling them a few sociopath-worthy techniques to do so (yeah, the post in Spanish you may not be able to read... Well, you can always learn Spanish ^_^). I don't feel like going for memories, nor to tell you what I had for breakfast... and soon I should be going to have lunch, if I want to get there before the lines for the microwave start.

Today I thought I would give you a chunk of what I think about random things.

The one random thing I can think of right now is a comment I received yesterday after tweeting a youtube vid of R. Pattinson "smooching" and actor whose name I can't recall right now (nor I'll Google it for your benefit), in amovie called "Little Ashes". I remember I watched the movie because I was thinking that due to its caliber Mr. Pattinson could reivindicate his name in my eyes (the Twilight saga was a major fall from grace in my eyes, and I really-really liked him in Harry Potter), but it didn't work. Dear Chuck, that boy is the most stiff, spastic actor I have ever seen! Makes you think, from the poor way in which he performed his part (I know he was playing Dalí, but he was awkward, visibly uncomfortable and far more unnatural than any part would demand), that he does get his roles solely on his good looks. So, the opportunity to lift his name sunk like the Titanic. Disappointed, I bitched to Carrie, with whom we decided that the only good thing was that this at least trampled things for Twilight fans, with vampie-boy switching sides and cheating on whiney-bitch.

After tweeting the vid, a comment came dismissing it, because "today's teens are 250% sexually open". O...kay? Does this means that... hmmm. No, I don't get it. I guess the idea is that all teens, all of them, no exception, and then some more are... bisexual? Or perhaps that all of them accept gay people? That would be awesome because that would mean that there's no more gay bashing! Oh goodie! (I guess they only bash EMOs now, and that takes a lot of effort.)

So aside from the fact that the point was utterly missed (Dude it was about breaking the love-lock you and your lot has placed on the pairing!), not to mention the blatant overlooking of the guy's acting "skills", it was quite interesting the comment in itself. Interesting since we all know it's not true. Gay kids are still being picked on at school, gay people is still being bashed and trampled, their rights denied. On the other side, and that's also part of the "sexually open views", straight people is still being cast aside, mistreated by their gay piers. Yes, sorry, but I myself have been subjected to reverse discrimination, based on the fact that I happen to be straight.

Thing is that there's still discrimination and where there's discrimination there's also reversed discrimination, and then, when it comes to teens, who are still  people in formation, how much of their points of view are really valid to assert or support a thesis? If their personalities is still in formation, if they don't know who they are, if they are in the age of experimentation, how can their "openness" and their "view" on a topic be asserted as a valid counterargument? Hell, my generation was open to "Satanic religion" back then, does that made those views firm?

When arguing, people should watch carefully the weapons they pick and the duress of them. Dude, that was lame.

No comments: