Jun 23, 2010

Feeding The Masses

Everyday more and more people move into the Babel Tower. Today was quite great for me as I saw many of the people I used to work with the first time I entered into this company, some 7 years ago. My goodness! All my good all acquintances and friends! It was like a school reunion! :-) This was the bright moment of the office-day, you see, as Today our Smart Building show us how "smart" does not equal "efficient", "right" or even "functional".

Ros, one of my trusty coworkers picked me up today at the wee hours, when only the factory workers go around catching the first buses of the day. We made it to the office even before the traffic lights had all their three colours on, and the second floor of the parking lot was already half occupied. All the good places were nearly taken. The elevators were good at that moment of the day, waiting only some 7 minutes for them to drag their asses from wherever to the Lobby. Once up, we made the insane idea of going to a local store to pick up some coffee. Well, the elevator was taking longer. Add to it, when we came back, we had to wait 20 minutes for the elevator as it kept going all the day to the 2nd floor stopping there and then going back to the 16th floor. It never reached the Lobby. The technicians were trying to implement a solution for the already collapsed elevator system by assigning each of the 4 elevators to given floor groups, but our wasn't working. Why? The "Smart Building" was rebelling, and the Central Control wasn't working. Oh Goodie.

An elevator "not assigned to our floor group" and personally operated by a technician took us in, since "there was no demand at the moment". The elevator, designed to fit 13 people (so says the panel) and 1000 Kg (so say's the pannel) couldn't take 10 people, and so 3 of them had to leave the elevator and keep waiting. Oh, before you say, why don't they take the elevator, this is from the Lobby (first floor) to the 15th and 16th floor... on uneven, dusty stairs.

By noon you had to wait only around 10 minutes for the stupid thing to get to your floor, so you can use it, since the "smart plan" was an absolute failure. Once at the diner, which is, ALLEGEDLY the only place where we can eat and drink, and when questioned, the coordinators of the moving, with experience in HHRR say that it is where you MUST eat because it is the only healthy way to do it, you must stand in a line from to 1525 minutes to get to the microwave. Oh, there are 6 of them, and they are supposed to serve 220 people every 45 minutes ((220*2)/6 = 73 minutes, 20 seconds, which is about 28 minutes and 20 seconds more than the time alotted to lunch. Average people heat their food for 2 minutes. Here I candidly assume people heating only one recipient of food, which often is not the case here). No coffeemaker, no microwave, no nothing is "allowed" at the floors. Food shall be srtored, heated and consumed only at the diner.

These pictures were taken today at the microwaves at 11:45 am.




Perhaps I should mention that up to today only the 30% of the building's total population has moved it.

Naturally this means having lunch out or bringing cold food for lunch, such as sushi, onigiri, ceviche, sandwiches, snacks, boiled eggs, crackers-and-caviar (I wish), bread-sausage-onion, or military self-heating lunch bags.  Also, there's the option of investing in a food thermos, in case you can't leave without a hot lunch, but can't afford eating out everyday. Kinda sad, though, remembering how at our old place we only had to wait until our food was heated up. Kinda weird also, because I honestly rather have unhealthy practices such as eating at my work station than wasting my lunch time, not to mention grow far more hungry, on waiting for an elevator that appears less than the President in the slums and then for microwaves  before which queues form only seen before at free health care centers.

Yep, I might now nothing about HHRR, but I like eating at my workstation, listening to my music and reading a good book, or sharing with my coworkers, far better.

Eitherway, after today's events, it becomes perfectly clear, and I can safely say that it may be retrograde of me, but I like dumb houses and buildings better.

1 comment:

Storm Bunny said...

Los traslados no terminan sino hasta el 1ero de Julio. O sea...