Jun 27, 2012

Dozing on the Grass

My thoughts about today's post changed in a moment, suddenly, when sitting at Mama's garden after a hearty lunch, I felt like laying down on the grass and doze a little. The memories of those days of University came to me, as we used to throw ourselves down to the grass, tuck our backpacks behind our heads and sleep under the trees and the sky, over the soft green grassblades. It turns out that dozing on the grass, or simply laying there, looking at the huge sky, the feeling of freedom and wonderment is the same. The sky stops being the blue ceiling above us, which we hardly see, if not to check for rain. As you stare at the big blue, the feeling of depth overwhelms you: it's not a flat blue thing, but a deep, deep blue that could suck you up.

Thoughts cascaded down remembering those carefree days full of academic issues and search of knowledge, not a chase for career, connections and political considerations. I found myself missing those fashion free days, when actual fashionable pieces were laughable. All you needed were a t-shirt and some jeans, and that was that. No brands, no big names, no tailored nothing. Wearing the same jeans everyday was normal, and a worn, old t-shirt with no brand on it was the standard. There was something liberating in the fraying pants and the t-shirt that had been stretched so much through the years it now reached bast your ass.

This all wasn't about being a rebel, but about taking ourselves and our commitment seriously. It wasn't about a getting a big car, it was about avoiding the shallow, phony world of empty promises and marketing, away from all you didn't need, and sticking to your believes and your true needs. You didn't need closets full of clothes, just a pair of jeans, a top and some flip-flops or some old snickers. You didn't need leather bags, a worn, old backpack does the job. You don't need to spend millions in new edition books or new books by gurus with shiny covers and lots of advertisement, as all you need is there for free at the  library. No need for expensive notepads and exclusive pens, as any pencil and a couple of pages - even used pages you can still write on on the other side - also make the trick.

What happened to us? We started working, we've got into the corporative world where looks are all, where you don't get the job in your jeans and your rasta hair, or braids and flowers in your hair, where you must lose the peace sign, the Che Guevara t-shirt and your handmade thread bracelets. It doesn't help that you have to become shallow, be political and maneuver more through contacts and favors, hipocrisy and cocktails than through actual knowledge. Where the college kid in us? Where does that person go, and their dreams, hopes and convictions?

I want to believe, that person in there, somewhere, and I want to find it, bring it back to life and make those dreams come true. Because those dreams deserved a shot, where honest and were good.

6 comments:

Sartassa said...

Loved it!really really loved it! You know.during all those months i spent mosly alone this was one of my main thoughts and I realized that I really liked the person I used to bei years ago. Maybe that's what's happening to you to?
Good luck with rediscovering yourself!

Storm Bunny said...

^_^ I find that one of the best feelings of all, is to still be able to recall those feelings, to know that we were so happy, and so capable of so many things. It's good to feel the connection with who we were and *feel* that we can still be that person.

I was wondering so much about clothes because my professional life has been marked hard by clothes. I've been quite "avant garde" regarding what I wear (which people often wrote off to "me being European", so I was naturally "weird and out of the norm"), yet still I spend fortunes on clothes I would discard in a year. But back in the University I wore man-jeans (more comfty) and Dragon Ball Z t-shirts, or University t-shirts, braid my hair in two braids, and nobody would care about it. Because it was all about who you are as a person, an individual, a soul, an intellect. Guys knew that clothes mattered little, unclothed all women are sexy, and we wouldn't care about what guys would wear... all men unclothed are sexy. ^_^

Thus, free of fashion, we didn't mind at all sitting in the dirt, in close contacts with Mother Earth, getting our shirts and hair full of grass as we laid back to watch thee tree tops and the sky. And those clothes we threw into the washer machine and wore for years and years! Now we won't loose up, and sit on the grass, run in the mud or roll in the sand because our shoes and clothes will get ruined? Because we spent a fortune on them, but will discard them in 12 months?

We were smarter when we were at University. And Much, Much, MUCH happier.

Storm Bunny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Storm Bunny said...

*I did have a t-shirt with the face of the Che on it!*

Sartassa said...

That’s the thing, isn’t it? I sort of got rid of that attitude though. Took me a while. Now I use my new stuff rather than take care of it and only wear it on occations where I can be sure that they won’t get dirty or damaged. It’s this camping feeling that makes me realize that you cannot spend a week in a caravan and not get dirty or wear all your posh clothes. I’m lucky though, there are no clothing rules in my office at all. Right now I am wearing a spaghetti straps shirt, a ¾ khaki and flip flops… no one would say something. Still, I don’t like it when my female coworkers wear minis or hotpants, I don’t think that’s appropriate, even though our customers don’t see us… it’s a matter of … taste?
So now that you’re not working, did you realize a change in your style?

Storm Bunny said...

Well, this month I'm all in black, but this year I'm not pleased with my clothes. Back in Costa Rica, wearing black at the office was more "variated" and I constantly looked elegant. My style here morphed a bit into that "University" style of mine, with plenty of worn, washed jeans and cotton blouses, hindu tops and t-shirts with rolled up sleeves (ever since the 90's I roll up my t-shirt sleeves.) Flat shoes or sandals (colorful and crazy like the ones you get at Deichmann!), or some snickers and that's it!

I've black jeans, new, but somehow they became way too big for my waste and now keep sliding off, and I don't like that. I need a seamstress to fix that for me. However, since I'm in Europe, and away from the stalkers that polute Costa Rica, I've grabbed also lots of shorts (not hot pants!) and skirts, and dresses! My legs are not perfect, but 80% of all women have cellulitis just like I do, so if someone doesn't like looking at the orange peel skin that appears at certain moves when the light is right, they don't have to stare! Instead, I'm free and happy and LOVE my shorts!

I love the hippie style, but I've realized that my style is comfy-sporty-cottonish. Love the Hindu clothes, particularly the tops, and love walking around in tracking clothes or sports wear. Love clothes I don't have to care for, clothes which get character from a stain of dirt, a drip of bleach or fraying at the edges. Love the worn and soft, the old and comfy, pieces that are never part of the fashion because they are eternal, functional or soothing to the soul.

You know what I love? T-shirts with funny legends! Even fitted t-shirts, particularly those with triangle like sleeves (star from the neck to the armpit, and usually are of a different color than the body of the t-shirt) with a funny saying like "Get a taste of religion, lick a witch".

My job demands me to be always presentable, be always ready for a meeting with the high and mighty, pretend to be a think tank or a power suit, even if we are not so exactly. That makes my jeans (most of which have been living un Hungary for years now) to be stored away, unused. That hurts my heart a lot.

What's your favorite comfy clothe piece?

As for hot pants and mini skirts... yeah... not. What's next? Going to the office in underwear and pyjamas? get to work in bikini top and cut off jeans?