Oct 7, 2012

Football Afternoon

This day has been marked in my calendar for a while. The Anna Ross Breast Cancer Awareness run was scheduled for today, but then also the #NLFtour with the twitter kids. Then there was our usual yoga class, which entailed meeting with my friend Lau, the earlier Skyping with my boyfriend and then hairwashing and laundry. Lots of stuff? Yes, plenty.

I woke up early because we received the threat that there won't be any water from 7 am to 5 pm due to... well, the Major should know why. As result, I woke up ON SUNDAY at 6 am to wash my hair and get my laundry done. Guess what? The water went nowhere. It lost pressure, but we had plenty of water. Then again other people in other parts of the city did suffer the lack of water. Last year I went to the Anna Ross run, and I loved it, but I remembered the nightmare it was to try and get to San José, and so since I was going to watch the Denver Broncos vs New England Patriots, and getting to the sports bar by car, I decided to skip the run this year and rather go to yoga. Uhum, by the way, I'm seriously out of shape, and it shows. Gara do something about it.

After yoga - where I did particularly bad, so I MIGHT practice some asanas at home in this week to come - I "changed" (I pulled a dressy top and wore my charcoal-grey stripped string pants, which I used for yoga), fixed up myself a little bit, and then dropped my friend at her place, going then to San Pedro, to the Chichi's sport bar, where we had decided to go and watch the match.

When I've got there - over two hours before the begining of the match - the place was packed to capacity. Tables were bunched up and set for parties, who were there to enjoy the Barcelona-Real Madrid match. Yes, this is a country where the only valid type of sport worth following and cheering for is football soccer. Just like basically in most of the rest of the world. We were crammed in a small table, where we watched the soccer match and ordered a thing or two for snaking and drinking. The conversation was profusely peppered with tweeting, facebook checking and chart consulting which sided up nicely with social conversation of a type that hardly comes up in any other group of half- strangers.

We laughed lots, joked a lot, shared comments and tweets and generally spent a wonderful time in ways that are unconventional by traditional means. Or may that only be my perception?

Social media does speed up the ice breaking, but maybe it sheds off many nice elements of expectation and patient maturing that the old ways of making friends have.

No comments: