Feb 16, 2012

Another Small Little Day of My Life ^_^

After quite some time, finally I've got to see "the apartment". What can I say? It's bigger than what I expected. Usually "bigger" is better, when it comes to a place, but in this case I was concerned due to the budget. Are we going to have enough money to furnish all this space? I had already made some calculations with some sizes I had in mind, and it was a stretch already, but it seemed doable, however, standing in the middle of the apartment I realized that one single bookcase unit wasn't going to cover it. So I kinda panicked a little, because in the end, it's not like we are on a TV show where money doesn't seem to matter when it comes about making a place look Divine. It didn't help either that basically all of the existing "furniture" was to be banished from the premises. Many of the pieces my boyfriend had were not only worn and dated, but too bulky in size and shape to fit a place like that apartment, which calls for more slender lines to look less cluttered.

The guy renting the apartment came and the contract was finished, the keys and everything handed over, and the apartment itself was in quite a mess. Dirty windows, dirty kitchen, stuff left behind everywhere... That's going to call for a major cleaning task, which might be hopefully happening sometime this weekend... or the next week.

I was a bit at loss after seeing the apartment, and honestly worrying for the money side of the equation, when my boyfriend suggested we go to my godmother's to pick up some stuff. I still don't get his desire to move a large part of our stuff to my aunt's where there's no place, and then have the moving to the apartment go from two fronts: my aunt's place and my godmother's place. I said I wasn't in the mood to deal now with my godmother's new ideas about the future, and instead we decided to go looking for furniture. Just window shopping, mind you. He had a couple of places in mind, two of which had gone out of business and the others were already closed. We did checked out Kika, which not only didn't have the type of furniture I like - either too outdated or too bulky for my taste - but it was also insanely expensive. Worn and annoyed by the experience, we were about to return to my aunt's place, when I told him to let's check Ikea. He wasn't very happy about it, but most of the furniture we like we saw on their catalogue, os it was worth the effort to seem some pieces in the flesh. It was well worth the effort - particularly after Kika - for suddenly I found a lot of pieces we liked and in quite a good price range. I'm still concerned about the budget (I'm actually doing the mathematical part of it after finishing this post), but at least we finally are getting around what we want - and I'm pleased with it.

The bed, which is the most important part of the whole furnishing (which has to be a sofa-bed), happened to be pretty much half of what asked at Kika, and much better suiting our taste - well, mine.

Another step into consolidating a life together, a life here, my new life. It does feel interesting!

No comments: