Feb 5, 2012

A Weekend of Everything

A very stressful weekend is ending. I feel quite at loss right now, can't hold onto anything solid as things are shifting and changing around me, and here I am, having to pack up my life to move it several thousands of miles away. I don't have enough room to pack, to make any sort of system work just right, but I manage, and still, it looks like more than half of my life will still be left behind. I moved once - in 1996 - how did I do it? How on Earth did I manage that, fitting my life in one suitcase? And now, three suitcases don't seem to be able to house me.

I started my system deciding what was the most important for me: what couldn't I live without? What couldn't I replace? Books and DVDs. So I made these items the core of my suitcases - plus one suitcase with a core of a really large make up box. Clothes - though I love them! - I decided that they could be sent after me, or I could shed some of them. Same goes for the shoes and the purses. Besides, those are things you can buy... even prettier! So clothes, shoes and bags were my "stuffer". Watches and jewelry got into ziploc bags and became "primary stuffers", which meant that those went into the suitcase after the cores did. I selected then for each suitcase a pretty heavy core, filled the back of the suitcase with clothes to even it out, put the core an started "filling". Smaller books, smaller DVD's, some things we've got for the house...

We are supposed to travel with four suitcases - keep our fingers crossed that the airline lets us check in one extra piece each ^_^' - so there's one last suitcase that we must fill, but we don't have that suitcase yet. God willing my brother will lend it to us, and we'll need it. I haven't packed yet my boyfriend's stuff, and so many of my decoration stuff, and my yoga mat are still unpacked!

This is a chaos, and I hate chaos.

No comments: