Feb 12, 2012

Disconnected

I'm writing this post outside the Internet. I'm writing it Today (02-12-12) but you are going to read it only tomorrow (02-13-12) due to a very simple reason: I don't have an Internet connection. More precisely I don't have a single Internet connection that works. Should I known that, I would have either blogged from the mall we went some hours ago, or would have taken the chance and bought myself a working mobile internet account, which now naturally I'll do first thing tomorrow. Upsetting, right? My phone doesn't work because it has been disconnected after over 12 months of not using it, but fear not! The number hasn't been given away, so if I hurry tomorrow and I get at an official store (as opposed to those which are not official - or resellers, as I believe they are called - ) then I can ask for them to get me my number back. Then maybe I'll take on the chance and upload this post from some coffee house from the vicinity, and get myself also a WORKING, FUNCTIONAL service, as opposed to that of my boyfriend, who forgot his PIN code, as he so often does. As for my aunt's... it keeps giving me the same error message. It shouldn't, but it does. Anyway, could this be a sign for me to slow down for today, leave my cyberlife aside for a minute and just draw myself a bath, and enjoy it? There is people out there writing for many magazines and papers (that appear on the net) who talk about how healthy it is to "disconnect" yourself from the technological ubiquitous shadow we drag around. Could this be it?

And just as I typed that, what do you think it happened? The internet made its Grand Entrance. Were I inclined to believe in signs (STRONGLY believe in signs!), I would say that this means that I won't find a job fast, but just as I get ok with it and decide to take the lack of a job chance as a sign to lay back and finish that book I've never finished, a job will appear. But no, I prefer not to take it that way, otherwise it would kill the fun of it. Either way, here I am, today-today, writing to all of you in my new home. Well, home-TOWN that is, as we haven't moved to our place yet (or shall I say my boyfriend's place?). All the surveying stuff and such will start tomorrow. As it is, my agenda is so full, I don't have any more space for it to write!! First day and I've so many tasks to tackle, I feel like I need the biggest and strongest NFL players by my side to help me get a hand on all these.

In case you wonder, I'm still up to my plans, and will draw myself a nice bath and buy myself mobile internet service.

So how was my day? It started around 8 am in Paris. Boyfriend and I woke up in our lovely little hotelroom, and one of the coziest, most pretty little hotels in town. Small, simple, surprisingly two stars hotels (I've seen far worse four star hotels!), we had some time before rushing to the airport to catch out flight to Budapest. After having made rounds last night at the Opera house, down the Opera Avenue - where I had to detour to the Foucher chocolate boutique to get my hands on some of the finest, most exquisite chocolate made in the planet (and since my boyfriend paid for the treat, I told him that I would count that for his St. Valentine's present. Let's be honest, hardly anything else could top a lovely little box full of fine chocolate) - all the way to the Pyramid of the Louvre, and then try the Metro to the famous Eiffel Tower... all of which I told you about yesterday, without the pictures.  I would offer you pictures, but Blogger doesn't want to let me upload any, so until that gets solved, we will be stuck pictureless.

Regardless of all this exciting visitings, we still had a request from my mother: get a picture of the Cité de Justice, where her favorite fictional detective works: Maigret. As early and we could we've got out of bed, got ready, and minding the time we had to catch our plane, we rushed to the metro again - our new best friend in Paris - to Cité to check on the building, and then go to Notre Dame. I hope we did well with the Cité de Justice, because We weren't sure about the building, so we took pictures at a couple of them. Then we went looking for the Notre Dame. My boyfriend - true to his nature - started walking in a direction at random, and I followed him - I hadn't fully woken up, I guess. Some ten minutes into the walking, and no church in the vicinity, I decided to stop and check out the map, which was a very smart decision from me, as it happens we were walking in the opposite direction. So we turned, rushed and got to the wonderful Notre Dame. I can't decide whether it was more beautiful and imposing from the inside or from the outside. It was breathtaking!

At the moment we were there, there was a mass going on, with a choir singing so beautifully, it was filling you with a heavy yearning to drop on your knees and pray to God in infinite adoration. The carvings, the statues, the vitrals... everything was simply magnificent.

To be able to due this last minute trip, we had to skip a formal breakfast, so on our way back to the hotel for our luggage, we went into a store and got a couple of sandwiches and something to drink. We've got to the airport nearly on time - okay, 30 minutes late, but still in time! - and everything seemed to go smooth, when it happened that my ticket started giving problems. I printed out my boyfriend's but mine refused to be printed out. What to do? We went for help, naturally. It was quite easy to solve, however at the counter, the lady taking care of the matter - it seems that the flight was overbooked, that's why my ticket was giving us problems - noticed that we checked 4 pieces of luggage, not 2 (one each). Since we were at the counter, she had to log them, even if they were not with us. She called a colleage to help her, and they looked at us.

"You've checked four pieces? You were supposed to check only one each!"

I was honest.

"I know, " I said "we were expecting to pay for the extra luggage, but the personnel at TACA said we were entitled to two pieces. I found it weird, and told them our tickets said we were entitled for only two each, and we expect to pay for the other two, but... they wouldn't have it."

The lady and her colleague looked at each other, and then the gentleman said:

"Well, that's an issue that Costa Rica must solve, it's not on us."

They were fine with it, checked the luggage as it was, and the lady told me that she made a small note letting them know that it had been a disposition at Costa Rica. I was fine as long as the luggage arrived to Budapest.

We didn't have time to look around the airport and shop for some stuff, though I managed to still get myself a salt-and-pepper set (beautiful black and white) and two breakfast bowls - also black and white. ^_^

At Budapest our luggage came out quite quickly. We still had to wait because my boyfriend ran to the carrousel and I was in charge with taking care of the trolley and the hand luggage, BUT he forgot to mention that the only suitcase he was able to identify was his own. It was me pointing out to him "Dude, those are our suitcases" when they went around for the third time, and he still didn't react.  I asked him then "why did you offer to go for the suitcases if you can't identify them?" His answer? "So you don't have to carry them". Yes, I know it was sweet of him to try and save me from the physical effort, but I felt like rather slapping him. Man, how do you offer if you can't do it? What did he expect really? For the suitcases to yell at him "Yo, asshole! I'm yours! Pull me off this shit!". Really, sometimes I don't get him. Then again, Harry-Potter-speaking, maybe he's too Griffindor and I'm waaay too Slytherin.

From there we went home, filled in with my aunt, got comfy and then headed to the closest mall to see if I can do something to get my number working, and then do some grocery shopping. Not much as we are still not at our place, and there's no point in getting stocked, only to then move that whole lot to our appartment, but we stock up on the basics: bread, cereal, condoms and beer. I also rushed up to a paper store - I was compelled too! - and bought myself some stationary to reply to some of my late-late-late letters.

Tomorrow another day starts and we have lots of stuff to do, but right now, I'll go rest, draw myself a bath and be happy to be finally here.

No comments: