Feb 4, 2012

A Happy Discovery

After having both of my lower wisdom teeth extracted last week, (one of Wednesday and the other one of Thursday), I've been doing quite well. No major problems, virtually no pain (except for the expected pull here and there from the work done) and everything just swell.  Three days of vacations - which I've taken to have the procedures done and an extra day to link it to the weekend, so I can get a decent amount of rest - have gone flying by so quickly. Still, the looming of Monday and another work day doesn't bother me at all: these are the blissfull days of someone knowing that work is reaching an end (and hopefully a new job will arrive in time ^_^). However, what's pissing me off currently is the baby food. Yes, the baby food.

After having your teeth removed, like with most surgeries that touch any part of the digestive system (and the mouth is part of it, in case you didn't know), you are commanded to eat only soft foods, and soft foods are mainly soups and baby food. Normally I love baby food, and indulge from time to time with a jar or two of peach or prune "2nd Food". From time to time it's fun and delicious, but three days on the row... or more like four now, eating only baby food it's becoming too much. It's ennerving! I've spend days eating less than 1000 calories a day (I know for I keep the count of the calories now with the fitbit), when before that I kept going over the daily recommended amount (2000) and by far (once I've got 6000 ^_^). So, this is when I start dreaming about food and the day I'll be free again to stuff my face with whatever I want.

Yesterday, however, as I met with my dear friend Shimmy Gin, I realized that there was something else I could eat while the wounds in my mouth healed: mashed potatoes. *Insert Celestial Music* As we sat chatting at a coffee place nearby, I nursed dearly a plate with delicious, creamy, warm mashed potatoes enjoying every bit of it. Oh dear, how did we got to that point?

Sometimes you can't help it. I couldn't eat anything else if I wanted, because I undergo a procedure and thus I need to give it time to heal, otherwise I could suffer quite unpleasant consequences. I'm losing weight like crazy now, and though I'm not hungry - I was always one fo those who eat little - I'm constantly yearning for something else. I want nachos with garlic seasoned sour cream, bread with sour cream (I love sour cream), buffalo wings, pizza, chicken risotto, sushi, salad, sesame sticks (with garlic and pepper seasoned sour cream), PB&J sandwich... Shimmy told me that after he had all his wisdom teeth removed - and it was a procedure and healing of 44 days! - he got so starved out, that the first day he could eat like a normal (un)civilized person again, he hogged on an insane amount of Chinese food and he felt soooo good about it!

Hopefully my healing period will be shorter - or so my doc has told me - and it will be over just in time for the trip, so I'll probably hog on plane food (it's Air France, so hogging is understood) and then... in Paris. Can't wait for the Escargot!

I'll probably will gain back all the weight I lost with the forced diet, but who cares? Yes, I set myself a goal and it would be nice to work to get it... but food after such starvation is a welcomed blessing, no matter what comes behind. :-)

2 comments:

Sartassa said...

You get wisdom teeth on both sides of your mouth pulled out within only a few days? OMG! How do you eat? Here there are at least a few weeks in between so you can bite on one side... Well, I have never had a surgery like that so maybe you wouldn't be able to eat normal stuff anyway.
I hope you're painless very soon. You know, as I broke a rip last year, my doctor told me to go to work even tough I was in pain, because it would get better if I was distracted - and he was right. So maybe going to work is the best thing one could do (did I really say that?)
One thing I realized about mashed potatoes in the states is - it's white! Potatoes at home are usually creamy yellow so I really wondered where all the color had gone. It's delicious though and I am glad you found something else than baby food (I love the fruity things but the mashed vegetables and meat ? yuck!)

Storm Bunny said...

My dentist is so marvelous I didn't even think twice about havong him pull the teeth out with 24 hours of difference. Now eating is a real struggle.:-( However... white mashed potato? You gara take a picture of that!

Regarding going to work after the surgery, in this case it wasn't advised as the open wound is sensitive to changes of temperature and wind, so I actually had to stay home. :-) Today I'm fine and dandy, so coming to the office only means carrying the babí food. :P